theantelope

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
Please help! I just bought a refurbished Dell Inspiron 3700 from dell direct and i would like to upgrade my processor. Currently the specs are as follows: Intel Mobile Celeron 440BX AGP chipset--Memory Clock speed: 100 MHz--Architecture: SDRAM---AGP Bus: 66 MHz-- PCI Bus: 33 MHz. I am running Microsoft 98 SE because i am scared of XP too many holes but just recently was persuaded to purchase XP and will be installed by next week. I have searched and probed INTEL's website but to no avail. i would like to install the fastest processor and upgrade my memeory i have a 4.6 GB hard drive and only 96 MB of RAM. Please let me know how i can go about making this wonderful notebook running at its fullest potential. no matter the price.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Whoever persuaded you to purchase XP should be SHOT! If you haven't opened the package, return it NOW! It takes around 384MB of RAM to run XP as well as 96MB on 98SE. At 96MB XP will be running on vitual memory, off the hard drive, at a fraction of the normal speed!

Some of these systems could have the processor upgraded, yours probably uses a MMC2 type processor card which can be found on eBay if you would like a faster replacement. It probably supports a maximum of 256MB on 2 DIMMs, it might support 512MB but not likely.

To make what you have work PERFECTLY, simply format the drive and re-install Windows 98SE. Download the updates and enjoy a fast laptop!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Actually it takes 64mb to install and run XP. To run it sufficiently, yes, he would need 256 or better to be happy. 128mb is sufficient.

I work in a shop fixing/upgrading/selling computers. A good 80% of what I see is XP. Prior to about a year ago all I saw as 98 and ME. It is very rare for me to see those these days as most people have upgraded to XP.

If you have an underpowered system stick with 98se. No biggy.

As for the security issues. Well, a small system such as yours with few resources will hardly cause anyone to bat an eye. Get a good antivirus program and/or firewall and you'd have been fine.

Most likely you have a modem so it is unlikely you'll be attacked due solely to that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I said it takes around 368MB to run XP as well as 98SE does on 96MB. That's based on personal experience with 98SE eating up around 48MB to run...fair, and XP eating up aroun 140MB to run...fair. At 128MB, XP will be constantly using the swap file, I've seen the school "upgrade" to XP on old PIII 500/128MB machines, and those ran SLOWER than their old Pentium 133/48MB machines on NT.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>