PC games

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Looks pretty good but if you're on a budget you could cut in a few areas.

First of all way the 2x 4860s rather than a single higher end card (which would be cheaper overall)?

#2 - Admittedly I haven't done much homework on triple channel RAM or amounts over 4GB so I can't really say how much it's worth to go with that RAM but I think you could do very well with 4GB of Dual Channel and save $ and possibly get higher performance memory.

#3 - The motherboard is really nice, but unless you plan on adding more $$ to the build within the next year it might be a bit more than what you need. Are you really planning on going with Quad Crossfire or Triple SLI or 12GBs RAM? If not you can easily cut the cost of the MB in half and still get one with nice features and good OC'ing ability.

#4 - If this is for gaming or primarily gaming swap out that HDD for something smaller and faster. Or if you really want the space pick up a faster drive for OS and game files.

Everything else looks pretty good, but I'm just taking a quick glance without scouring for any possible compatibility issues or anything. My best advice would be to focus in on exactly what you want this PC for and build it exactly for that. Don't try to "future proof" it or leave tons of room for upgrades because that usually ends up costing more than it's ever worth. Just find the best parts at the best value for what you need/want right now and don't spend too much time worrying about anything exotic or too long term.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Stay away from seagate barracuda series. Known to fail. There is a huge amount of failing barracudas. just letting you know. Somehow mine is still working (sorta) but i know many people who are on their 2nd or 3rd or just gave up on seagate all together.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

I thought that was fixed with a firmware update? One of my buddies stated thats what he did and doesn't have any problems.

megabyteme6662002

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I put together a computer with a top notch AM3 mobo, 950 x4 phenom BE cpu, 400$ radeon GPU.... for 1k$...

This was without drives(optical or hdd)... If you build your own, you can do better I think.. I could easily chop off 200$ off my GPU and get drives installed and still be under 1k.

I have read both for and against i7-920s for *gaming* purposes... the Phenom II will suit my purposes and it let me spend 400$ on a sexy radeon ;-)