Intel Pentium 4 vs Pentium Celeron

Can someone explain the difference between the two chips and which is
better, if one is better?

TIA
Wull
13 answers Last reply
More about intel pentium pentium celeron

    "Wull" <wmailey@gt.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone explain the difference between the two chips and which is
    > better, if one is better?
    >
    > TIA
    > Wull

    Neither one is a "modern" chip.
    The P4 is a better chip than the Celeron.
    If you are looking at a new system, both the P4 and the Celeron are
    obsolete.

    Look into one of the AMD processors if you want the latest technology
    available.

    Bobby

    Have a look at:-
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020903/p4_celeron-05.html
    and for a comparison of a 3.2GHzP4 Vs a 3200+ Athlon (AMD) look at:-
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html

    "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have a look at:-
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020903/p4_celeron-05.html
    > and for a comparison of a 3.2GHzP4 Vs a 3200+ Athlon (AMD) look at:-
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html

    I could just as easily post reviews that say just the opposite...however AMD
    offers other advantages with its 64bit platform...Direct Connect
    Architecture, Hypertransport Bus, *Exclusive* L1 (data)/L2 cache, a CPU
    designed for 64 bit (as opposed to a reworked P4 with only EM64T).

    In everyday use, in the real world, AMD CPUs are faster due to a
    combination of the processor and the architecture that supports it.

    FWIW, you can find reviews on tomshardware that rate AMD CPUs better than
    Intel, and others that rate Intel CPUs better than AMD. I guess it depends
    on what kind of mood he is on a particular day.

    Smart money is on AMD.

    Bobby

    Smart money on AMD?????? Is that why the Pentium or Intel has about 75% of
    the market?. Is that why all the big PC manufacturers use the Pentium? Is
    that why Apple has switched to the Pentium? Only off brands use the AMD.
    (It's cheaper)

    > "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Have a look at:-
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020903/p4_celeron-05.html
    >> and for a comparison of a 3.2GHzP4 Vs a 3200+ Athlon (AMD) look at:-
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html
    >>
    > I could just as easily post reviews that say just the opposite...however
    > AMD offers other advantages with its 64bit platform...Direct Connect
    > Architecture, Hypertransport Bus, *Exclusive* L1 (data)/L2 cache, a CPU
    > designed for 64 bit (as opposed to a reworked P4 with only EM64T).
    >
    > In everyday use, in the real world, AMD CPUs are faster due to a
    > combination of the processor and the architecture that supports it.
    >
    > FWIW, you can find reviews on tomshardware that rate AMD CPUs better than
    > Intel, and others that rate Intel CPUs better than AMD. I guess it
    > depends on what kind of mood he is on a particular day.
    >
    > Smart money is on AMD.
    >
    > Bobby

    Kids....this is what happens when you use drugs! (See post by "Unknown").

    Bobby

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Smart money on AMD?????? Is that why the Pentium or Intel has about 75% of
    > the market?. Is that why all the big PC manufacturers use the Pentium? Is
    > that why Apple has switched to the Pentium? Only off brands use the AMD.
    > (It's cheaper)
    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Have a look at:-
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20020903/p4_celeron-05.html
    >>> and for a comparison of a 3.2GHzP4 Vs a 3200+ Athlon (AMD) look at:-
    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/index.html
    >>>
    >> I could just as easily post reviews that say just the opposite...however
    >> AMD offers other advantages with its 64bit platform...Direct Connect
    >> Architecture, Hypertransport Bus, *Exclusive* L1 (data)/L2 cache, a CPU
    >> designed for 64 bit (as opposed to a reworked P4 with only EM64T).
    >>
    >> In everyday use, in the real world, AMD CPUs are faster due to a
    >> combination of the processor and the architecture that supports it.
    >>
    >> FWIW, you can find reviews on tomshardware that rate AMD CPUs better than
    >> Intel, and others that rate Intel CPUs better than AMD. I guess it
    >> depends on what kind of mood he is on a particular day.
    >>
    >> Smart money is on AMD.
    >>
    >> Bobby

    I already have a new computer with Pentium 4. It was only a question for
    information. Your answer explained it quite well. Thank you.

    Wull
    "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Wull wrote:
    >> Can someone explain the difference between the two chips and which is
    >> better, if one is better?
    >
    > Intel's "Celeron" class processors are a cut down version of Intel's
    > "Pentium" class processors. The Celerons typically run at a slower bus
    > speed (broadly speaking, the speed the processor talks to the rest of the
    > computer) and have less onboard "cache" memory (again very broadly, the
    > more of this memory a processor has, the faster it can process and turn
    > around data once it has it).
    >
    > As for which one is better that depends what you mean, the Pentium class
    > will perform faster than the Celeron class even the processors are running
    > at the same "clock" speed. Celerons however are cheaper to buy (and I
    > suspect but don't have figures to hand, cheaper to run).
    >
    > So a Pentium class chip is better than the equivilant Celeron class chip
    > *IF* you will use that extra power; a computer that just sits on a desk in
    > an office and does nothing more than run very basic office tasks will not
    > need any more computing power than the Celeron brings to the table, so
    > buying a Pentium processor for that job may be a waste of money...
    >
    > You should also consider AMD's range of chips; without getting into the
    > holy war about which company makes the better processors, I'll just say
    > that the AMD Athlon class is AMD's mainstream processor line pitched at
    > the same level as the Pentium, and the Sempron is a budget processor
    > pitched at the same level as the Celeron.

    > Rob Moir
    > Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    > Virtual PC 2004 FAQ -
    > http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    > Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    What are you an AMD employee? Give facts.
    > Kids....this is what happens when you use drugs! (See post by "Unknown").
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    >> Smart money on AMD?????? Is that why the Pentium or Intel has about 75%
    >> of the market?. Is that why all the big PC manufacturers use the Pentium?
    >> Is that why Apple has switched to the Pentium? Only off brands use the
    >> AMD. (It's cheaper)
    >> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> I could just as easily post reviews that say just the opposite...however
    >>> AMD offers other advantages with its 64bit platform...Direct Connect
    >>> Architecture, Hypertransport Bus, *Exclusive* L1 (data)/L2 cache, a CPU
    >>> designed for 64 bit (as opposed to a reworked P4 with only EM64T).
    >>>
    >>> In everyday use, in the real world, AMD CPUs are faster due to a
    >>> combination of the processor and the architecture that supports it.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW, you can find reviews on tomshardware that rate AMD CPUs better
    >>> than Intel, and others that rate Intel CPUs better than AMD. I guess it
    >>> depends on what kind of mood he is on a particular day.
    >>>
    >>> Smart money is on AMD.
    >>>
    >>> Bobby

    You have managed with a single post to display both your arrogance and your
    ignorance.

    "only off brands use the AMD" ???

    Are you calling the following brands "off":

    HP
    Compaq
    Gateway
    Emachines
    Averatec
    Acer
    Alienware
    ABS
    Cyberpower
    Monarch

    There are many others...

    I hope no one listens to you for advice. If you believe what you posted,
    then you are truly too uneducated to own a PC, much less give advice to
    anyone.

    Welcome to the killfile...hope you like it in there with all the other
    ignorant street trash that gets put there.

    > What are you an AMD employee? Give facts.
    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Kids....this is what happens when you use drugs! (See post by
    >> "Unknown").
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    >>> Smart money on AMD?????? Is that why the Pentium or Intel has about 75%
    >>> of the market?. Is that why all the big PC manufacturers use the
    >>> Pentium? Is that why Apple has switched to the Pentium? Only off brands
    >>> use the AMD. (It's cheaper)
    >>> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message

    A wise choice you'll eventually discover.
    >I already have a new computer with Pentium 4. It was only a question for
    >information. Your answer explained it quite well. Thank you.
    >
    > Wull
    > "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Wull wrote:
    >>> Can someone explain the difference between the two chips and which is
    >>> better, if one is better?
    >>
    >> Intel's "Celeron" class processors are a cut down version of Intel's
    >> "Pentium" class processors. The Celerons typically run at a slower bus
    >> speed (broadly speaking, the speed the processor talks to the rest of the
    >> computer) and have less onboard "cache" memory (again very broadly, the
    >> more of this memory a processor has, the faster it can process and turn
    >> around data once it has it).
    >>
    >> As for which one is better that depends what you mean, the Pentium class
    >> will perform faster than the Celeron class even the processors are
    >> running at the same "clock" speed. Celerons however are cheaper to buy
    >> (and I suspect but don't have figures to hand, cheaper to run).
    >>
    >> So a Pentium class chip is better than the equivilant Celeron class chip
    >> *IF* you will use that extra power; a computer that just sits on a desk
    >> in an office and does nothing more than run very basic office tasks will
    >> not need any more computing power than the Celeron brings to the table,
    >> so buying a Pentium processor for that job may be a waste of money...
    >>
    >> You should also consider AMD's range of chips; without getting into the
    >> holy war about which company makes the better processors, I'll just say
    >> that the AMD Athlon class is AMD's mainstream processor line pitched at
    >> the same level as the Pentium, and the Sempron is a budget processor
    >> pitched at the same level as the Celeron.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --
    >> Rob Moir
    >> Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    >> Virtual PC 2004 FAQ -
    >> http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    >> Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    intel pentium and celeron are almost similar. Intel pentium p4 has 512kb
    cache memory inside its chip while the celeron has 256kb cache memory only,
    so intel pentium 4 is faster than intel celeron. Intel P4 is best when
    browsing the net and when you are in video editing

    celeron was made to match the low cost of amd chips....

    its better to use P4 than celeron if you have enough money....

    "Wull" wrote:

    > Can someone explain the difference between the two chips and which is
    > better, if one is better?
    >
    > TIA
    > Wull

    plonk!

    : You have managed with a single post to display both your
    arrogance and your
    : ignorance.
    :
    : "only off brands use the AMD" ???
    :
[...]
    : >>
    : >> Bobby
    : >>
    : >> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    : >> news:zdnUe.1643$mj1.59@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
    : >>> Smart money on AMD?????? Is that why the Pentium or Intel
    has about 75%
    : >>> of the market?. Is that why all the big PC manufacturers
    use the
    : >>> Pentium? Is that why Apple has switched to the Pentium?
    Only off brands
    : >>> use the AMD. (It's cheaper)
    : >>> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    : >>> news:%23DlHriStFHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    : >>>>
    : >>>> "GreenieLeBrun" <GreenieLeBrun@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> Have a look at:-
    : >>>>>
[...]
    : >>>
    : >>>
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    Who are you trying to impress?
    > You have managed with a single post to display both your arrogance and
    > your ignorance.
    >
    > "only off brands use the AMD" ???
    >
    > Are you calling the following brands "off":
    >
    > HP
    > Compaq
    > Gateway
    > Emachines
    > Averatec
    > Acer
    > Alienware
    > ABS
    > Cyberpower
    > Monarch
    >

    > There are many others...
    >
    > I hope no one listens to you for advice. If you believe what you posted,
    > then you are truly too uneducated to own a PC, much less give advice to
    > anyone.
    >
    > Welcome to the killfile...hope you like it in there with all the other
    > ignorant street trash that gets put there.
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    >> What are you an AMD employee? Give facts.
    >> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Kids....this is what happens when you use drugs! (See post by
    >>> "Unknown").
    >>>
    >>> Bobby
    >>>
    >>> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message

    Not trying to impress anyone...just trying to prevent the braindead clueless
    idiots like "unknown"
    from spreading FUD, even when they are too stupid to know better.

    > Who are you trying to impress?
    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> You have managed with a single post to display both your arrogance and
    >> your ignorance.
    >>
    >> "only off brands use the AMD" ???
    >>
    >> Are you calling the following brands "off":
    >>
    >> HP
    >> Compaq
    >> Gateway
    >> Emachines
    >> Averatec
    >> Acer
    >> Alienware
    >> ABS
    >> Cyberpower
    >> Monarch
    >>

    >> There are many others...
    >>
    >> I hope no one listens to you for advice. If you believe what you posted,
    >> then you are truly too uneducated to own a PC, much less give advice to
    >> anyone.
    >>
    >> Welcome to the killfile...hope you like it in there with all the other
    >> ignorant street trash that gets put there.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    >>> What are you an AMD employee? Give facts.
    >>> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message

Pentium Microsoft Celeron Windows XP