Maximized window problem

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
i really dont know how this happened or how to change this but every time i maximize a window the window will maximize below the taskbar on the bottom of the screen instead of maximizing to the top of the task bar

desktop.png

theres a pic of it. as you can see the bottom of the browser is behind the task bar. is there any way to adjust anything so that it will maximize to the top of the taskbar?

Not sure if this will help, but try right-clicking on the task bar, select "properties", turn on the "Auto-hide option, and click "OK" on the properties dialogue box.

You should now be able to see the full browser window because the taskbar will be hidden.

Then right-click on the taskbar again (by moving the mouse to the very bottom of the screen to reveal it) and go through the same thing again, this time turning OFF the auto-hide option. When I do this with a maximized program, the window shrinks to fit the reduced space.

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
couldnt figure it out...must have been a system glitch or something where programs couldnt recognize the boarder of the task bar or something. like i said...couldnt figure it out so i just restored my whole system to the previous week. problem solved =)

mihaiprms

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Properties at shorcut icon or program icon and there put maximaze button on execution line to start where is minimazed, normal window and maximaze and then start the file and he will be maximezid. Thats it. By.

atwork

Honorable
May 14, 2012
My bosses laptop was just having this issue,
After not finding any solutions on the web in 5min I tried ending and restarting the explorer.exe process
This worked for me with all windows that were maximised to the bottom of the screen resizing themselves when focussed
Good luck

kurtreinmcw

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
I had one program that also could not be launched. In windows 7 it would launch and be only minimized in the tray and would never maximize. I killed the program and right clicked it to get properties and then chose to launch it 'maximized'. That worked to allow it to launch maximized. But it still would not minimize and maximize again, OR run in a windowed mode. The fix was to use the Windows 7 hot keys to lock it to the top and/or sides (window key + arrow keys). Then you can resize it. I think the main problem was that windows explorer had it's windowed size out of resolution or in an incompatible size. That was the only fix I could find anywhere.

Kurt Rein
Mobile Computer Wizard

bricosgrove

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

This worked for me.

certificate18

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Yep - restarting explorer.exe also worked for me.

Additional note for anyone who wants to try this: Stopping explorer.exe via Task Manager is easy - but it will remove your taskbar (including Start button) and desktop icons, so unless it restarts itself (which it might, depending on configuration), not everyone will then be able to start it again!

With Task Manager still running, do File > New Task > type "explorer" and your taskbar and desktop icons will reappear.

As this has now occurred on my colleague's Windows 7 machine a couple of times, I've put a bat file on his desktop with the following command, which should save time when it happens again:
tskill explorer
start explorer

Thanks, {atwork}!