Can't read some news groups.

I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get a
response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
complicated?

=ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
2006.part23.rar
=ypart begin=1 end=640000
|1,(v%"µE]G]6*J***p~w?\ZZ`XO"~* ¾_¡ /IÆ ®Lh t M,¯ ï3åìoÚËIÔ# *#õ7-é:.æb)
ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!

"glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get a
> response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
> complicated?
>
> =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
> 2006.part23.rar
> =ypart begin=1 end=640000
> |1,(v%"µE]G]6*J***p~w?\ZZ`XO"~* ¾_¡ /IÆ ®Lh t M,¯ ï3åìoÚËIÔ# *#õ7-é:.æb)
> ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
> c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
> Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
> Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
> ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!

The example you posted is a compressed program file, not text. In the
example above, someone posted Family Tree Maker 2006, and the header
identifies this as part 23 of a multipart "thread".

The file was first compressed (hence the .rar extension), then was broken
into small segments (hence the "part 23"). These segments were then posted
to the newsgroup. If you are using a newsreader (such as Forte Agent 3.0),
you can then download and join the parts together, and then extract the
original file.

A couple of additional comments...one should always be cautious when
downloading files like this...they can and often do contain viruses,
spyware, keyloggers or trojans. Make sure you have a reputable Antivirus app
installed, and that it is kept updated. In addition, downloading files like
the one in your example is illegal, as the file is copyrighted and must be
purchased for personal use.

Bobby

Thanks for the information. I was surprised by the legality comments, tho.
I have no interest in keeping it on my computer. I merely wanted to read it.

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> "glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get a
> > response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
> > complicated?
> >
> > =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
> > 2006.part23.rar
> > =ypart begin=1 end=640000
> > |1,(v%"µE]G]6*J***p~w?\ZZ`XO"~* ¾_¡ /IÆ ®Lh t M,¯ ï3åìoÚËIÔ# *#õ7-é:.æb)
> > ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
> > c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
> > Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
> > Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
> > ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!
> >
> The example you posted is a compressed program file, not text. In the
> example above, someone posted Family Tree Maker 2006, and the header
> identifies this as part 23 of a multipart "thread".
>
> The file was first compressed (hence the .rar extension), then was broken
> into small segments (hence the "part 23"). These segments were then posted
> to the newsgroup. If you are using a newsreader (such as Forte Agent 3.0),
> you can then download and join the parts together, and then extract the
> original file.
>
> A couple of additional comments...one should always be cautious when
> downloading files like this...they can and often do contain viruses,
> spyware, keyloggers or trojans. Make sure you have a reputable Antivirus app
> installed, and that it is kept updated. In addition, downloading files like
> the one in your example is illegal, as the file is copyrighted and must be
> purchased for personal use.
>
> Bobby

Best to ask someone in the particular newsgroup that you cannot read.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get a
> response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
> complicated?
>
> =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
> 2006.part23.rar
> =ypart begin=1 end=640000
> |1,(v%"µE]G]6*J***p~w?\ZZ`XO"~* ¾_¡ /IÆ ®Lh t M,¯
ï3åìoÚËIÔ# *#õ7-é:.æb)
> ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
> c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M
KaåFØÝÚÚn
> Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ
Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
> Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà ÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5:
ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
> ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!

seth

the files are encoded with a program called yenc
if you use outlook express for newsgroups, there are extra steps involved in
using yenc to decode attachments because outlook express doesn't natively
support it
i use xnews and it can decode yenc messages

"glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get a
> response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
> complicated?
>
> =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
> 2006.part23.rar
> =ypart begin=1 end=640000
> |1,(v%"µE]G]6*J***p~w?\ZZ`XO"~* ¾_¡ /IÆ ®Lh t M,¯ ï3åìoÚËIÔ# *#õ7-é:.æb)
> ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
> c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
> Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
> Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
> ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!

What about Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 ???

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23Uh0d$WtFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
seth <seth@work.net> hunted and pecked:
> the files are encoded with a program called yenc
> if you use outlook express for newsgroups, there are extra steps involved
> in using yenc to decode attachments because outlook express doesn't
> natively support it
> i use xnews and it can decode yenc messages
>
> "glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get a
>> response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
>> complicated?
>>
>> =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
>> 2006.part23.rar
>> =ypart begin=1 end=640000
>>> 1,(v%"µE]G]6*J***p~w?\ZZ`XO"~* ¾_¡ /IÆ ®Lh t M,¯ ï3åìoÚËIÔ#
>>> *#õ7-é:.æb)
>> ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
>> c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
>> Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
>> Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
>> ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!

Wesley

Isn't that nasty thing scheduled for blindfolding and tying to a post?

And at the risk of upsetting the international community, but just for you

Spanish.. ¿No está esa cosa repugnante programar para blindfolding y atar a
un
poste?

Dutch.. Niet is dat smerige ding dat voor het blindfolding en het binden
wordt
gepland aan een post?

Russian.. ?? ?? ?????? ???? ??????????????? ??? ????????? ? ????????? ?
???????

German.. Nicht ist diese böse Sache, die für das Die Augen verbinden und das
Binden zu einem Pfosten festgelegt wird?

All translations courtesy of ..............

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

PS.. I will need a new spell checker after all of this..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> What about Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 ???
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23Uh0d$WtFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> seth <seth@work.net> hunted and pecked:
>> the files are encoded with a program called yenc
>> if you use outlook express for newsgroups, there are extra steps involved
>> in using yenc to decode attachments because outlook express doesn't
>> natively support it
>> i use xnews and it can decode yenc messages
>>
>> "glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get
>>> response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
>>> complicated?
>>>
>>> =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
>>> 2006.part23.rar
>>> =ypart begin=1 end=640000
>>> ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
>>> c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
>>> Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
>>> Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
>>> ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!

I have the cigarettes and cartridges.

Ich habe die Zigaretten und die Patronen.

Poster was explaining about OE, OP is using CDO. Just curious. Remember; A
mind is a terrible thing. :-D

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:edw1JgXtFHA.2392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mike Hall (MS-MVP) <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley
>
> Isn't that nasty thing scheduled for blindfolding and tying to a post?
>
> And at the risk of upsetting the international community, but just for you
>
> Spanish.. ¿No está esa cosa repugnante programar para blindfolding y atar
> a un
> poste?
>
> Dutch.. Niet is dat smerige ding dat voor het blindfolding en het binden
> wordt
> gepland aan een post?
>
> Russian.. ?? ?? ?????? ???? ??????????????? ??? ????????? ? ????????? ?
> ???????
>
> German.. Nicht ist diese böse Sache, die für das Die Augen verbinden und
> das Binden zu einem Pfosten festgelegt wird?
>
> All translations courtesy of ..............
>
> http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html
>
> PS.. I will need a new spell checker after all of this..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User

>> What about Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 ???
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23Uh0d$WtFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> seth <seth@work.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> the files are encoded with a program called yenc
>>> if you use outlook express for newsgroups, there are extra steps
>>> involved in using yenc to decode attachments because outlook express
>>> doesn't natively support it
>>> i use xnews and it can decode yenc messages
>>>
>>> "glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

And since when does being 70 have any connection with being "not too smart"?
I'll bet you're smarter than many of us here, and wiser than most.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> Thanks for the information. I was surprised by the legality comments,
tho.
> I have no interest in keeping it on my computer. I merely wanted to read
it.

> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>

> > "glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often get
> > > response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not to
> > > complicated?
> > >
> > > =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
> > > 2006.part23.rar
> > > =ypart begin=1 end=640000
ï3åìoÚËIÔ# *#õ7-é:.æb)
> > > ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
> > > c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M
KaåFØÝÚÚn
> > > Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ
Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
> > > Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔÃ
÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
> > > ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!
> > >
> > The example you posted is a compressed program file, not text. In the
> > example above, someone posted Family Tree Maker 2006, and the header
> > identifies this as part 23 of a multipart "thread".
> >
> > The file was first compressed (hence the .rar extension), then was
broken
> > into small segments (hence the "part 23"). These segments were then
posted
> > to the newsgroup. If you are using a newsreader (such as Forte Agent
3.0),
> > you can then download and join the parts together, and then extract the
> > original file.
> >
> > A couple of additional comments...one should always be cautious when
> > downloading files like this...they can and often do contain viruses,
> > spyware, keyloggers or trojans. Make sure you have a reputable Antivirus
app
> > installed, and that it is kept updated. In addition, downloading files
like
> > the one in your example is illegal, as the file is copyrighted and must
be
> > purchased for personal use.
> >
> > Bobby

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:907B6871-03C2-455B-93ED-3EDFAA4A3E0C@microsoft.com,
glen948 <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often
> get a response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is not
> to complicated?
>
> =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
> 2006.part23.rar
> =ypart begin=1 end=640000
>> 1,(v%"µE]G]6*J***p~w?\ZZ`XO"~* ¾_¡ /IÆ ®Lh t M,¯ ï3åìoÚËIÔ#
>> *#õ7-é:.æb)
> ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
> c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
> Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
> Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45 ,ø
> ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!

Head here for more information:

http://www.yenc.org/msoe.htm

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

newbie

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
|| "glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
||| I am a 70 yr old man and not too smart. In some newsgrpous I often
||| get a response as follows. Can I do anything about this that is
||| not to complicated?
||| =ybegin part=1 total=6 line=128 size=3707966 name=Family Tree Maker
||| 2006.part23.rar
||| =ypart begin=1 end=640000
||| ÚøsßjfI¯pì¸yò Øê
||| c"h,h§·@ eL=J^ ö#ÄSÁòÕ -B)?Îj^;5ÇÔZcB?xkNsûb " ë.=M KaåFØÝÚÚn
||| Ð:AP-Û]*tÉó?}óô^/K&ZÜùU=Mã/äN> ¢")dQÜ)ùæMîÆ: ÏnE?ÿ Ö,fW.}¥Âú/ ¡
||| Á*=M@* ZJß?ËNðÞ?õ²fZ¿£Oê"OÌÊSWz_ :lÔà÷MÄ=M~rðªêúEÇ5: ÄJmD ô±Ôv-çø45
||| ,ø ?A"´*Ùý8?~G-µµ!
|| The example you posted is a compressed program file, not text. In
|| the example above, someone posted Family Tree Maker 2006, and the
|| header identifies this as part 23 of a multipart "thread".
|| The file was first compressed (hence the .rar extension), then was
|| broken into small segments (hence the "part 23"). These segments
|| were then posted to the newsgroup. If you are using a newsreader
|| (such as Forte Agent 3.0), you can then download and join the parts
|| together, and then extract the original file.
|| A couple of additional comments...one should always be cautious when
|| downloading files like this...they can and often do contain viruses,
|| spyware, keyloggers or trojans. Make sure you have a reputable
|| Antivirus app installed, and that it is kept updated. In addition,
|| downloading files like the one in your example is illegal, as the
|| file is copyrighted and must be purchased for personal use.
|| Bobby

HI,
I hope you don't mind my butting in.
A question please.
How could you deduce the file is copyrighted?
Was it because, it was posted in encrypted form?
Regrds.

"newbie" <jcd@refid.com> wrote in message
> NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> || "glen948" <glen948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> || The example you posted is a compressed program file, not text. In
> || the example above, someone posted Family Tree Maker 2006, and the
> || header identifies this as part 23 of a multipart "thread".
> || The file was first compressed (hence the .rar extension), then was
> || broken into small segments (hence the "part 23"). These segments
> || were then posted to the newsgroup. If you are using a newsreader
> || (such as Forte Agent 3.0), you can then download and join the parts
> || together, and then extract the original file.
> || A couple of additional comments...one should always be cautious when
> || downloading files like this...they can and often do contain viruses,
> || spyware, keyloggers or trojans. Make sure you have a reputable
> || Antivirus app installed, and that it is kept updated. In addition,
> || downloading files like the one in your example is illegal, as the
> || file is copyrighted and must be purchased for personal use.
> || Bobby
>
> HI,
> I hope you don't mind my butting in.
> A question please.
> How could you deduce the file is copyrighted?
> Was it because, it was posted in encrypted form?
> Regrds.

No. Family Tree Maker is a retail genealogy program. Many such programs
can be found on the newsgroups, but they are all illegal because the person
downloading them did not purchase them.
It is the same as DVD movies and music...just because they *can* be
downloaded does not make it right or legal.

Bobby

newbie

Thanks Bobby.