I am running windows xp home (gateway 300s) w/ SP2 and have the
following problems:

1. when I power up the machine, XP will not start properly. It will
keep trying but nothing happens. The only way I can get it to start is
when a DOS screen appears, I toggle to a setting that says something
like "start windows from the last good configuration" (the last known
settings that worked). If I select this option, xp will start and I
can use the machine normally.

2. Becasue of this I cannot install a local printer. I can install my
brother MFC-5440CN and use it during that session, but if I power down
and restart, the "new hardware wizard starts and trys to re-install the
drivers. If I dont re-install every time, the printer will not show up
in the printer folder.

This computer was a gift from a friend, so I am trying to get it
running in tip top shape...Please help!

--
jscout

Hi,

Does it do this if you do not install the printer?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone