Asus NRL-LS533

george_b

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I bought a Asus NRL-LS533 board that is supposed to have a 24 pin power connector. At least thats what it shows at the asus website and on the website where I bought it mwave.com

However, this board only has a 20 pin connector and it is a server board going in a server case so the case has a 24pin power connector. The manual in the box also shows 20 pin connector. Why would they make a server board with 20 pin connectors when the cases are 24?

I was wondering if maybe they made 2 models with each type of connector? I have seen 24 pin to 20 pin atx converters so I wonder if I could just use one of those on the supermicro case or return the board?

any advice?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can use the adapter. Boards with 20-pin connectors are made to be more easily used with standard ATX power supplies. In fact, Intel used to use the 20-pin connector and the 6-pin supplemental power connector on their GX chipset dual XEON board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

george_b

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I called supermicro and found out that you can plug the 24 pin connector into the 20 pin connector on the board as long ss there is nothing in the way. 4 pins hang of the side and it only plugs in one way so you can't do it wrong.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's cool. The last guy I talked to had something blocking him from doing that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>