system restore will not work

September 10, 2005 9:33:07 AM

I have tried to restore my system to the first date available. . . xp
always fails to load and I have to go back to "start windows from the
last good configuration" – I started in safe mode, disconnected from
the internet- scanned with NAV cleaned a bunch of junk off, scanned
with Spybot S&D – cleaned some more junk off tried to restore to day
one – same problem - go back to "start windows from the last good
configuration"- several hours wasted and I am going crazy. This may
be a virus problem, not an xp problem…Please some one help me!!!!

--
jscout

More about : system restore work

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:52:07 AM

Hi,

Most likely the restore points are corrupted. If this is the case, all you
can do is disable SR, then delete the contents of the
System_Volume_Information folder(s) on each drive. Then restart SR and go
from there. You will lose the existing points, but they are obviously not
working anyways.

My question now is what were you trying to resolve by using SR?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jscout" <jscout.1v4odq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have tried to restore my system to the first date available. . . xp
> always fails to load and I have to go back to "start windows from the
> last good configuration" – I started in safe mode, disconnected from
> the internet- scanned with NAV cleaned a bunch of junk off, scanned
> with Spybot S&D – cleaned some more junk off tried to restore to day
> one – same problem - go back to "start windows from the last good
> configuration"- several hours wasted and I am going crazy. This may
> be a virus problem, not an xp problem…Please some one help me!!!!
>

> --
> jscout
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:51:35 PM

Hi

Do any other SR checkpoints work? When you say the 'first date available' -
is that the latest date (i.e. yesterday) or an earlier date?

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"jscout" <jscout.1v4odq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have tried to restore my system to the first date available. . . xp
> always fails to load and I have to go back to "start windows from the
> last good configuration" - I started in safe mode, disconnected from
> the internet- scanned with NAV cleaned a bunch of junk off, scanned
> with Spybot S&D - cleaned some more junk off tried to restore to day
> one - same problem - go back to "start windows from the last good
> configuration"- several hours wasted and I am going crazy. This may
> be a virus problem, not an xp problem.Please some one help me!!!!
>

> --
> jscout
September 10, 2005 5:51:01 PM

Have you added and hardware lately?? Another hard drive or PC card?
Sometimes the recover does not like that as it did not see those
devices before.
TonySper

"jscout" <jscout.1v4odq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

I have tried to restore my system to the first date available. . . xp
always fails to load and I have to go back to "start windows from the
last good configuration" - I started in safe mode, disconnected from
the internet- scanned with NAV cleaned a bunch of junk off, scanned
with Spybot S&D - cleaned some more junk off tried to restore to day
one - same problem - go back to "start windows from the last good
configuration"- several hours wasted and I am going crazy. This may
be a virus problem, not an xp problem.Please some one help me!!!!

--
jscout
September 11, 2005 1:21:51 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 06:52:07 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Most likely the restore points are corrupted. If this is the case, all you
> can do is disable SR, then delete the contents of the
> System_Volume_Information folder(s) on each drive. Then restart SR and go
> from there. You will lose the existing points, but they are obviously not
> working anyways.
>
> My question now is what were you trying to resolve by using SR?

Can you go back months instead of weeks using this method?
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 6:14:25 PM

Hi,

Deleting the contents and disabling SR will remove all points, regardless of
how far back they go.

--

!