MB & LAN Question

e2joseph

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
Hello!

I have a ABIT IC7 mainboard. As you may know, there is a better version named IC7-G.

Features for IC7 - for IC7-G
chipset i875P i875P
[ ... ...]
[different:]
- Sillicon Image Chip( 2 more SATA HDDs)
- Intel CSA GigabitLAN
[ there may be other features but those are the most notable and
those I remember now :) ]

I have looked many times at the pictures of those 2 boards, they ARE identical, except for the S.Image chip. YES, I even have a LAN port on my m/b, that was initially covered with a sticky thick piece of paper.

My questions are: IF I make a BIOS update using IC7-G's BIOS, is it possible for my GBit LAN to work??? And, what are the adverse effects of this operation? Will that S.Image chip support get me into trouble?

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The LAN port has a sticker over it because it's connected to nothing! Upgrading BIOS does not replace missing parts!

If you wanted onboard LAN on an inexpensive board, you should have gone with the IS7.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Looks to ME you need to learn how to read!

Question:
IF I make a BIOS update using IC7-G's BIOS, is it possible for my GBit LAN to work???
Answer:
The LAN port has a sticker over it because it's connected to nothing!
Question:
And, what are the adverse effects of this operation?
Answer:
Upgrading BIOS does not replace missing parts!

Your board doesn't have a LAN controller, the LAN port has a sticker over it to tell you "Hey! This port doesn't work" You CANNOT have a working LAN port without the LAN controller. BIOS can't fix it, because the parts are NOT THERE.

The only mistake I made was assuming you understood the basics of hardware.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>