Windows Recovered From Error Question

Scott

I'm using WinXP Pro (SP1). Today, after I burned a data CD on another
computer, I put it in the XP system just to check it. Then I removed it
and inserted a blank CD for another project. The new CD showed the same
files as the previous one, even though I closed and re-opened My Computer.
When I clicked on one of those files, Windows crashed (just went black).
I restarted the computer, and when it booted to the desktop, all the icons
were wiped out (replaced by only the shape of the icon, not the image),
and the only thing I could open were .txt files on the desktop. The start
menu worked sporadically, and once I opened a program, it wouldn't close.
I rebooted several times...and finally on the 4th reboot, everything was
back to normal. Something like this has happened once before. I'm just
amazed at XP's ability to repair itself. The question is, how does it do
that?

Also, after the first reboot, a message came up saying that "Windows had
recovered from a serious error". Where should I look to find the log of
that event that caused the problem?

Thanks!
Scott

As far as the windows xp version of the crash,you'll find it in windows,
mini-dump-delete it.For more info that might help you,open event viewer.

"Scott" wrote:

> I'm using WinXP Pro (SP1). Today, after I burned a data CD on another
> computer, I put it in the XP system just to check it. Then I removed it
> and inserted a blank CD for another project. The new CD showed the same
> files as the previous one, even though I closed and re-opened My Computer.
> When I clicked on one of those files, Windows crashed (just went black).
> I restarted the computer, and when it booted to the desktop, all the icons
> were wiped out (replaced by only the shape of the icon, not the image),
> and the only thing I could open were .txt files on the desktop. The start
> menu worked sporadically, and once I opened a program, it wouldn't close.
> I rebooted several times...and finally on the 4th reboot, everything was
> back to normal. Something like this has happened once before. I'm just
> amazed at XP's ability to repair itself. The question is, how does it do
> that?
>
> Also, after the first reboot, a message came up saying that "Windows had
> recovered from a serious error". Where should I look to find the log of
> that event that caused the problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Andrew,

The Event Viewer doesn't show anything. Where do I find mini-dump?

Scott