Games that deserve a remake?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
hey guys, thought we could get a bit of a discussion going. the topic being; games from your childhood that should be remade. weather just as downloadable games with minor improvements for a new generation, or entirely rebooted and improved.

ive been playing games a long time, sometimes a remember a game that i used to play and hunt for it online. sometimes i get lucky and find one of them, but usually they just aren't fun anymore. expectaiotns are higher now, and we know what makes a good or bad game. so what games do you guys think would be great if remade?

my choices are:

Elite. anyone who has played this game will know just how brilliant it was. even by todays standards, its a huge game. but it was held back by prmitive graphics tech. i imagine the game re built in HD, with space battles like a star wars movie. a real time stock market (that is hooked up online, with values changing as people all over the world buy/sell) some multiplayer elements. perhaps every now and then you run into a PC, and can forge an alliance or duke it out for resources. this game would undoubtedly rock if a decent studio picked it up.

morrowind. okay, so the game isnt that old. but its my personal all time favourite. oblivion was alright, but it didnty have anything aproaching the freedom that morrowind offered. i logged 300 hours playtime, without even finishing the main story arc. the game weas plagued by bad programming (something of a speciallty of bethesda) and bugs. if it were re made, as a special edition atop the newest engine used for fallout 3... well i know id buy it. i woudlnt want a remake, since the story and gameplay should remain unchanged. but new grpahics, real time physics, and better A.I. if it were released alongside TES:V, it would sell a truckload.

and

Deus Ex. a perfect example of a game that was brilliant in its day, but to go back to it now is... meh. with improved AI, a new graphics/physics engine, and expanded missions through DLC, it would be amazing. this is a game that came years too early. it almost begs to have been made during the time of easy bugfixing and DLC.

so what do you all think? i must have missed some obvious choices? what games do you guys want to play again? or think that todays kids need to experience?

share. :)

mi1ez

Splendid
Return fire! the music was awesome, and with a simple graphics and AI overhaul this could easily sell again.

cannon fodder! so much fun. all it needs is higher res graphics.

[edited for typo]

ulysses35

Distinguished
Anyone remember "Rescue on Fractalus" - very old on the Atari 800 computer... used to be a great game which made excellent use of the Atari's graphics :)

Failing that I used to love Dungeon Master on the Atari ST -

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i agree with mi1z, id lveo to see a donloadable version of canon fodder, with updated grpahics and sound.

they did that with money island, one of my all time favourite games. the re-make was brilliant.

duke3d is another great choice, though the violence and boobies would have less of an impact on todays seasoned gamer...

welshmousepk

Distinguished
some good replies, any more ideas?

i was thinking about how cool a modern shinobi would be. screw the PS2 sequal. id lvoe to see the guys behind bayonetta, or ninja gaiden get a hold of it.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
some more thoughts from me:

Metal Gear (the original)
streets of rage (that would be epic)
and

panzer dragoon saga!!

did anyone else have the fortune to play that game? criminally unheard of, one of the best RPGs ever...

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
final fantasy 7

this is the only game i've gone back and played again and again with a gap of 3-4 years each.

the more recent FF games bring some nice new stuff, but also become less similar to FF7. FF7 is just something special.

the story is really moving and an incredible twist. i can't think of any game that comes close to the story of FF7 without making a frankensein of western literature (bioshock).

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Goldbox Games of SSI (Champions of Krynn, Secret of the Silver Blades, Gateway to the Savage Frontier...and us to transfer characters like the originals did!)

Bad Dudes, Vigilante, Contra, Double Dragon

tpnp

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Descent could definitely come back with an upgraded engine and be fantastic.

Also: practically anything from Lucas Arts would be amazing (for me, at least).

welshmousepk

Distinguished

as much as i love FF7, i cant help but think its vastly inferior to FF6 in terms of story. but, i owuld liekm to see niether game re-made. i tihnk they are examples of their time. they don't need to be remade because you can still play them and enjoy them now. their graphics and music are a part of their charm.

i have FF7 on my PSP, and FF6 on my dingoo. and thats the best way i could ever hope to play them :)

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

Contra from SNES.

Prince of Persia 3d (released in 1999) for PC, because it had real mind-boggling puzzles that not even Ubisoft could compete with with it's POP Trilogy.

Most of the games from NES and SNES.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Mechwarrior: Mercenaries
Mech Commander
Dark Sun
Wing Commander
Dune 2
Master of Magic
Colonization
Magic Carpet