keller_dweller

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
Can anybody help me. I posted this first on the PSU forum, but having changed out the PSU I still have the same probelm, any ideas...

Recently built a system for the first time and all was well for the last 6 weeks. Last night system failed whilst doing a backup to an external USB drive, so no big load on system. Also case temp at no more than 30C and CPU no more than 45C - am using a Thermalrake Xaser III with loads of fans.

Now when I switch the power on using the PSU switch, lights on E-net connection come on and CPU fan moves about half an inch, floppy light flashes, but that is it. Power switch on case front does nothing. I have systematically disconnected everything, and tried power, but no dice. System consists of

P4 3.0C,
2 x 512MB PC3200 Winbond CL2.5 memory sticks
MSI 875P Neo-FISR2,
MSI FX-5900 graphics card
PSU: Enermax 460W FMAX
2 x Maxtor 120GB S-ATA,
Pioneer A120S DVD-ROM

Must admit I thought I had bought good components, assembled carefully with static strap, but...

I have also tried flashing the BIOS, but still same symptoms (I have never updated the BIOS and so this should not be the problem).

$2000 worth of tin sitting there doing nothing, the only bright sideI can think of is that HL2 is late, otherwise I'd be going up the wall:)

i'm gonna go ahead and guess that your CPU fan died and it won't boot up until you pop in a cpu fan that works. It's just a guess cos i don't clearly understand the problem. But as you have it worded "cpu fan moves half an inch" that would be my guess.

Can you explain the problem more in detail?

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>