keitheturner

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
I plan on a P4 2.8 800FSB CPU, 1Gig of Corsair TWIN_X 3200C2 memory and to start, one Maxtor 120GB SATA drive. I will use a Saphire 9600Pro video card. I want on board sound, LAN and 1394. I do NOT want to overclock. I want to get advice on a MOBO that will be rock solid. Faster would be nice but I don't want something that will cause a crash if I look at it cross eyed. Price is not a problem although less would be better if it doesn't cause a reliability problem. It seems like every board out there has some problems. Maybe that's because people are straining them to the utmost to get as much speed as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Brand is not a criteria. Even an INTEL if that's a good choice. My first thought is an ASUS P4C800E Deluxe.

swelldom

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
I just purchased my mobo after searching forums, websites, and benchmarks for a month or so. The one I came up with is the Abit IC7-G. Performancewise, it's near the top of the list and the cost is pretty good. As for specifics about reliability, I can only speak from experience. Abit has always been rock solid for me. Small recommendation, if you have the money to spare, get a WD Raptor drive as your primary drive, and get a large capacity drive for storage. I've got a spare 80GB IDE drive gathering dust that's about to start storing my crud for me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could get onboard Sound, Lan, 1394, and SATA RAID from the Abit IS7, which only costs $104. And if you're not concerned about the best memory timings or overclocking, Crucial memory is the brand most likely to run perfectly at stock settings.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>