I have a friend with a Win 98SE PC which he'd like to upgrade to XP Pro.
When booting from the CD, or running the upgrade while in windows 98, there
is no upgrade option and the Install option gives a message "No previous
version of windows...".

Win98 runs OK so does anyone know what files or registry entry the XP Pro CD
is looking for? Win.com and command.com are both present.

Doug.
It sounds like you may be using an OEM version.
OEM are intended for Clean Installation only and can not be used to upgrade.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend with a Win 98SE PC which he'd like to upgrade to XP Pro.
> When booting from the CD, or running the upgrade while in windows 98,
> there
> is no upgrade option and the Install option gives a message "No previous
> version of windows...".
>
> Win98 runs OK so does anyone know what files or registry entry the XP Pro
> CD
> is looking for? Win.com and command.com are both present.

I bought the Upgrade package myself from the computer store. The box says it
is for upgrade op lots of versions, including Win98SE.