A7N8X Deluxe - Does it have RAID?

bsp41f

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2003
Hi there,
I've seen many reviews of this board and conflicting information as to whether or not it has RAID? HELP!
If it does not, can anyone suggest a decent board for use with an Athlon XP 2500+(Barton) that has RAID and will not break the bank (but still be good!!!)
I like the idea of dual rate RAM but is it actually any good?
Thanks in advance!

J

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bsp41f on 10/30/03 05:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe has RAID. ASUS A7N8X (non-"Deluxe") doesn't have RAID

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
The A7N8X Deluxe does have raid on its SATA controller. But I dont think it does for IDE. So youll have to get SATA if you want raid 0/1. You say you want dual rate ram, do you mean DDR memory? Because pretty much all new boards have that. its dual channel that is new to select boards, and the A7N8X deluxe does have it. It makes DDR400 run at DDR800 because its 2 channels. I use it with a gig and i notice huge performance boosts. But if you want performance go with an intel P4 with the P4P800deluxe by asus. Intel may be more expnesive but there is a reason for that. And if you want overclocking it works very well (AMD are overclocked out of the box to keep up). But I wouldnt get the P4P800deluxe for overclocking because it supports up to PC3200 DDR and you want 3500 or so for serius overlocking.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
It makes DDR400 run at DDR800 because its 2 channels
This is totally incorrect, don't ever believe this statement. Dual channel DDR only double the memory bandwidth (theoritically) or in case of AMD platform it makes the memory bandwidth more efficient.

Me fail English? That's Unpossible!
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
"Dual-Channel memory has twice the throughput of standard DDR memory. DDR400 Dual Channel memory effectively performs at the same bandwidth as would DDR800 DDR memory if it was available. This memory architecture is capable of thoroughly saturating the memory throughput capabilities of any 800 Mhz Front Side Bus Pentium 4 Processor! "

This is where i got it from. I know that it doubles bandwidth and not the frequency of the memory. thought it would make it easier to understand for a novice.

aosborn

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
i think i read that in a forum similar to this. i dont think they were saying it was oc'd out of the box but only metaphoriclly. i think they were talking about heat or some such, in comparison to intel. or they were talking about difference in bus speeds. either way not the most reliable source but its not to be taken word for word i guess.