HELP on XP Home version!! "Run As - Which user account do ..

September 12, 2005 9:33:52 AM

Hi All,

Downloaded an anti-virus program (Symantec Norton System Works 2005),
found I did not like it then uninstalled the program. Now each time I
open any program I get a box titles "Run As" with the following
message: "Which user account do you want to use" It has two radio
button choices, one is me (current user) and my log on name and the
other would be if I wanted to select another user. It also has a box to
select saying "protect my computer from unauthorized program activity".
I have to respond to this box before opening any program and I cannot
find a way to stop it from appearing. How do I get rid if this? Please
help !! Thanks.

--
xphome
Anonymous

Click on "start" "control panel" and then "user accounts" You can make
changes ther.
m farnam mkfarnam@yahoo.com

"xphome" <xphome.1v8dpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> Downloaded an anti-virus program (Symantec Norton System Works 2005),
> found I did not like it then uninstalled the program. Now each time I
> open any program I get a box titles "Run As" with the following
> message: "Which user account do you want to use" It has two radio
> button choices, one is me (current user) and my log on name and the
> other would be if I wanted to select another user. It also has a box to
> select saying "protect my computer from unauthorized program activity".
> I have to respond to this box before opening any program and I cannot
> find a way to stop it from appearing. How do I get rid if this? Please
> help !! Thanks.
>

> --
> xphome
October 1, 2008 4:22:52 AM

I am not one for writing!!! so just do this and it should fix your problem.

Open Registry Editor.

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create the following value (DWORD):

HideRunAsVerb

and give it a value of 1

Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you're supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.

Close Registry Editor and reboot the computer.

Anonymous
April 28, 2010 12:34:29 AM

This is the solution I've been searching for. It took me over a week to find this post. Dear Techno, you f**king rock! Thanks!!!
!