HELP on XP Home version!! "Run As - Which user account do ..

Hi All,

Downloaded an anti-virus program (Symantec Norton System Works 2005),
found I did not like it then uninstalled the program. Now each time I
open any program I get a box titles "Run As" with the following
message: "Which user account do you want to use" It has two radio
button choices, one is me (current user) and my log on name and the
other would be if I wanted to select another user. It also has a box to
select saying "protect my computer from unauthorized program activity".
I have to respond to this box before opening any program and I cannot
find a way to stop it from appearing. How do I get rid if this? Please
help !! Thanks.

--
xphome
3 answers Last reply

    Click on "start" "control panel" and then "user accounts" You can make
    changes ther.
    m farnam mkfarnam@yahoo.com

    "xphome" <xphome.1v8dpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Downloaded an anti-virus program (Symantec Norton System Works 2005),
    > found I did not like it then uninstalled the program. Now each time I
    > open any program I get a box titles "Run As" with the following
    > message: "Which user account do you want to use" It has two radio
    > button choices, one is me (current user) and my log on name and the
    > other would be if I wanted to select another user. It also has a box to
    > select saying "protect my computer from unauthorized program activity".
    > I have to respond to this box before opening any program and I cannot
    > find a way to stop it from appearing. How do I get rid if this? Please
    > help !! Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > xphome
  2. I am not one for writing!!! so just do this and it should fix your problem.

    Open Registry Editor.

    Navigate to the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Create the following value (DWORD):

    HideRunAsVerb

    and give it a value of 1

    Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you're supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.

    Close Registry Editor and reboot the computer.
  3. This is the solution I've been searching for. It took me over a week to find this post. Dear Techno, you f**king rock! Thanks!!!

Windows XP