vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
I can't remember where I've read that if you take a hard drive and set it on a speaker magnet that it'll eventually "format" the hard drive. Is this true?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i doubt it will format the hard drive, because it would probably corupt the file alocation table and the boot sector along with all the data on the hd. Do not try it, in extreme cases of data coruption the hard drive may not even be detected as the right size.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Hey pIII_Man and wusy,

This is a hard drive for a laptop and it's got a password lock on it. I figured I could erase it through using the magnet. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445 CDX so I'm just trying to get it to work. I'll probably have to buy a new hard drive. It's just too bad. This one has a Seagate ST91430AG. I'm fond of Seagate. This would've worked for most of my apps. Do you know how I could get rid of the password on the hard drive?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Let me try to understand this problem.

You tried the regular disk formatting utilities and they don't work?

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 11/02/03 08:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you cant password protect a hard drive so even fdisk cant erase it. if your talking about the bios password when it boots you might be able to clear the cmos.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015