P4 Micro-atx?

Phelios

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2003
What's the best P4 motherboard available right now for the micro or mini atx formfactor? Performance is important so it must have Dual-DDR, SATA and quality sound. I've thought about the Shuttle type range but am not really keen on the price/performance ratio of the SFF. I'll be getting a mini-tower cos space is a bit of an issue. If you can recommend a tidy mini-tower too I'd be greatful.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The P4P800-VM is probably the best Micro ATX P4 board. It uses a variation of the 865 chipset called the G, which is identicle to the PE except that onboard video is added. It still includes an AGP slot, and onboard video is disabled instantly by installing an AGP card.

You're wise to stay away from SFF. The really don't save any space (wider than a slim tower, taller than a slim desktop), and offer great limitations to expandability.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

gdenoga

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003
i was also looking for a micro-atx P4 board. However, im torn between a cheap Jetway 865GDMP and an expensive Asus P4P800-VM. They seem to have the exact same features, but differ only in brand and price.

So, bottom line, is the ASUS name worth it? or should i just buy the Jetway and use the extra money for extra RAM?

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
go asus over jet, speaking from experience here.....had nothing but problems with the last jet board i had....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
I had quite a debate through e-mail with one of the marketing guys at Shuttle regarding the price/performance of the SFF models they are offering.

His most oft excuse for the high price of the sff is style.

I tried to tell him that there were other factors that concerned me and that style, although important, was not going to entice me to pay more.

I like the idea of SFF but am not happy about replacing parts in those things. If the mobo goes or the power supply goes it will be hard for the average user to find replacments in a prompt manner, which is very important, imho.

Is micro-ATX much different and how easy is it to get replacement parts; or are we just talking about a small ATX board like the ASUS cusi and then a small case?

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
My vision isn't so great these days. cusi and cusl would look alot alike. I would still say "cusi" but there's a chance I am wrong.