WindowsXP Pro installation issues

I installed Windows XP Pro over my Windows XP home a few days ago. My Windows
XP Pro seemed to be working fine except it didn't feel or acknowledge my
built in speakers and various other hardware. My dad said this might stem
from the fact that the Windows I have (being from 2001) is older than my
laptop. He suggested I DL the service pack onto on desktop computer, put it
on a disk and open it on my laptop and install. I did that, and everything
seemed to go fine until I restarted my PC as I usually do when I install new
software. My laptop told there had a been a error that Windows was failing to
boot properly due to some failed installation of software or failed hardware
installation. It had a few options like "start with the last known
configuration of windows that worked on your computer" so I did that. And I
tried the other options too. But after a few screens of the usual booting up
stuff my laptop just goes to a black screen and I can't get away from it.
Windows Support won't help me so I'm asking you guys. Any ideas? Sorry for
being a computer pain.
3 answers Last reply
More about windowsxp installation issues

    Doireann wrote:

    > I installed Windows XP Pro over my Windows XP home a few days ago. My
    > Windows XP Pro seemed to be working fine except it didn't feel or
    > acknowledge my built in speakers and various other hardware. My dad
    > said this might stem from the fact that the Windows I have (being from
    > 2001) is older than my laptop. He suggested I DL the service pack onto
    > on desktop computer, put it on a disk and open it on my laptop and
    > install. I did that, and everything seemed to go fine until I
    > restarted my PC as I usually do when I install new software. My laptop
    > told there had a been a error that Windows was failing to boot
    > properly due to some failed installation of software or failed
    > hardware installation. It had a few options like "start with the last
    > known configuration of windows that worked on your computer" so I did
    > that. And I tried the other options too. But after a few screens of
    > the usual booting up stuff my laptop just goes to a black screen and I
    > can't get away from it. Windows Support won't help me so I'm asking
    > you guys. Any ideas? Sorry for being a computer pain.

    You're not being a pain. You need to install drivers and software for
    your laptop. Go to the laptop mftr.'s website and look at downloads for
    your specific model laptop. You may need to do this from a working PC
    with an Internet connection and a CD burner to transfer the files. You
    need to install drivers for your chipset, audio, video, touchpad, and
    any other special laptop software (like power management software)
    provided.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi,

    What is the make/model of the laptop, and do you know what type of processor
    (cpu) is being used? The symptoms are classic of an Intel Prescott cpu using
    an old instruction set.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Doireann" <Doireann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed Windows XP Pro over my Windows XP home a few days ago. My
    >Windows
    > XP Pro seemed to be working fine except it didn't feel or acknowledge my
    > built in speakers and various other hardware. My dad said this might stem
    > from the fact that the Windows I have (being from 2001) is older than my
    > laptop. He suggested I DL the service pack onto on desktop computer, put
    > it
    > on a disk and open it on my laptop and install. I did that, and everything
    > seemed to go fine until I restarted my PC as I usually do when I install
    > new
    > software. My laptop told there had a been a error that Windows was failing
    > boot properly due to some failed installation of software or failed
    > hardware
    > installation. It had a few options like "start with the last known
    > configuration of windows that worked on your computer" so I did that. And
    > tried the other options too. But after a few screens of the usual booting
    > up
    > stuff my laptop just goes to a black screen and I can't get away from it.
    > Windows Support won't help me so I'm asking you guys. Any ideas? Sorry for
    > being a computer pain.

    to manually uninstall SP2 check here
    http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_win-xp-sp_archive.html scroll down
    to the section on using the Recovery Console to uninstall SP2

    you can also uninstall SP2 by running a Repair Install

    Harry Ohrn
    www.webtree.ca

    "Doireann" <Doireann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed Windows XP Pro over my Windows XP home a few days ago. My
    >Windows
    > XP Pro seemed to be working fine except it didn't feel or acknowledge my
    > built in speakers and various other hardware. My dad said this might stem
    > from the fact that the Windows I have (being from 2001) is older than my
    > laptop. He suggested I DL the service pack onto on desktop computer, put
    > it
    > on a disk and open it on my laptop and install. I did that, and everything
    > seemed to go fine until I restarted my PC as I usually do when I install
    > new
    > software. My laptop told there had a been a error that Windows was failing
    > boot properly due to some failed installation of software or failed
    > hardware
    > installation. It had a few options like "start with the last known
    > configuration of windows that worked on your computer" so I did that. And
    > tried the other options too. But after a few screens of the usual booting
    > up
    > stuff my laptop just goes to a black screen and I can't get away from it.
    > Windows Support won't help me so I'm asking you guys. Any ideas? Sorry for
    > being a computer pain.

Laptops Windows XP