Turning power on to the printer

Just got a new computer earlier this week. For almost six years I'd been
using 98SE, along with an HP DeskJet 812C.

The printer's power was always turned on as a result of clicking a Print
icon or command, but now I need to turn on power via the button before
anything will print. Is there some setting that will cause the power to go
on as it did with my prior setup?
6 answers Last reply
More about turning power printer

    I had the same problem. I had 98SE/W HP 832C. I bought a new computer/W XP
    and a HP Officejet and have to turn it off and on at the machine, I really
    liked the method of "1 click and print"

    "Marty" <mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > Just got a new computer earlier this week. For almost six years I'd been
    > using 98SE, along with an HP DeskJet 812C.
    >
    > The printer's power was always turned on as a result of clicking a Print
    > icon or command, but now I need to turn on power via the button before
    > anything will print. Is there some setting that will cause the power to go
    > on as it did with my prior setup?

    I had the same thing happened to me when I changed 98SE/w HP 832C to XP/w HP
    Officejet 80xi

    In news:ulyvXROuFHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Marty <mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> had this to say:

    > Just got a new computer earlier this week. For almost six years I'd
    > been using 98SE, along with an HP DeskJet 812C.
    >
    > The printer's power was always turned on as a result of clicking a
    > Print icon or command, but now I need to turn on power via the button
    > before anything will print. Is there some setting that will cause the
    > power to go on as it did with my prior setup?

    You might want to look for newer software (not just drivers) for the printer
    at the HP site. That MIGHT be your only option as the process for doing so
    likely will have changed between 9x and XP. Beyond that, well, updating your
    printer to a newer model might also be an idea that you can consider for the
    future.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thank you, I will check the HP site.

    > In news:ulyvXROuFHA.2848@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Marty <mart915@REEMOOVEfrontiernet.net> had this to say:

    >> Just got a new computer earlier this week. For almost six years I'd
    >> been using 98SE, along with an HP DeskJet 812C.
    >>
    >> The printer's power was always turned on as a result of clicking a
    >> Print icon or command, but now I need to turn on power via the button
    >> before anything will print. Is there some setting that will cause the
    >> power to go on as it did with my prior setup?
    >
    > You might want to look for newer software (not just drivers) for the
    > printer at the HP site. That MIGHT be your only option as the process for
    > doing so likely will have changed between 9x and XP. Beyond that, well,
    > updating your printer to a newer model might also be an idea that you can
    > consider for the future.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
    > trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
    > come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    It's a feature of the printer drivers, not XP... so you need to look for
    updated drivers from HP. If HP did not include this feature in their newer
    drivers, complain to them.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    >I had the same problem. I had 98SE/W HP 832C. I bought a new computer/W XP
    >and a HP Officejet and have to turn it off and on at the machine, I really
    >liked the method of "1 click and print"

Power Printers Windows XP