I want to charge for Wireless access

I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink theor
coffee... you know..sip and surf.

What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info to
allow internet access?

I've seen it done in hotels.

Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.

-Fred
7 answers Last reply
More about charge wireless access

    You are basically looking for a type of wireless gateway. Try
    http://www.logisense.com/tm_hotspot.html I am sure there are several
    companies.

    "Fred Smith" <plato@Carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
    >wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink
    >theor coffee... you know..sip and surf.
    >
    > What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
    > that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
    > proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
    > browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info
    > to allow internet access?
    >
    > I've seen it done in hotels.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
    >
    > -Fred

    Also try
    http://www.cafe.com/index.php?d=services&p=hotspot_billing_tech&m=hotspot_billing
    I am sorry I missed it in the previous post.

    Fred Smith wrote:

    > I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
    > wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink
    > theor coffee... you know..sip and surf.
    >
    > What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
    > that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
    > proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
    > browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info
    > to allow internet access?
    >
    > I've seen it done in hotels.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
    >
    > -Fred

    Thinking off the top of my head... www.nocat.net might be able to help. It
    might need modification as I think it's set up for community based networks
    where there's no money involved.

    HTH,
    hugh... uk

    Great! I'll start there. Thanks guys....

    -Fred

    "BHAM KAL" <nospam@spamstopper.com> wrote in message
    > Also try
    > http://www.cafe.com/index.php?d=services&p=hotspot_billing_tech&m=hotspot_billing
    > I am sorry I missed it in the previous post.
    >
    > "Fred Smith" <plato@Carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
    >>wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink
    >>theor coffee... you know..sip and surf.
    >>
    >> What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL
    >> line, that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would
    >> figure a proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open
    >> up their browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit
    >> card info to allow internet access?
    >>
    >> I've seen it done in hotels.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
    >>
    >> -Fred

    He could always get together with t-mobile. They service Starbucks and
    Borders.

    Fred Smith wrote:
    > I have a friend who owns a coffee shop near my house and I want to setup a
    > wireless access point for his customers to connect to while they drink theor
    > coffee... you know..sip and surf.
    >
    > What components do I need to make that happen? I know he needs a DSL line,
    > that's the easy part and some kind of wireless router. I would figure a
    > proxy server too? What else do I need to get so when users open up their
    > browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info to
    > allow internet access?
    >
    > I've seen it done in hotels.
    >
    > Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.
    >
    > -Fred

    More customers might frequent his coffee shop if the wireless access was
    free. The question is what is the rate of return on the equipment
    investment and monthly access charges. I bet the coffee shop would benefit
    more from free access as people will be inclined to visit more as well as
    promoting good will through a good value proposition.

    Jeff

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:44:37 GMT, "Fred Smith" <plato@Carolina.rr.com>
    wrote:
    >What else do I need to get so when users open up their
    >browser they go to a page that asks them to put in their credit card info to
    >allow internet access?
    >
    >I've seen it done in hotels.
    >
    >Thanks for any guidance anyone here may have.

    zyxel.com has a solution.
    Linksys has a solution.

    But I think you are wasting your time.
    I think Tmobile and Starbucks will be giving away free wifi pretty
    soon. Well, Starbucks will. Tmobile will be out of it.

    It makes hardly any sense to charge for wifi when you are selling
    coffee for $4. Too cheap to install, too cheap to maintain. Better
    to use free wifi as a marketing thing. It will be free everywhere.

    Write that down. Steevo says. We'll see, huh?

Wireless Access Wireless Networking