Fallout 3 Add-ons

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I have Fallout 3 (non-GOTY) installed on my PC.
I want to play the add-ons (I don't have any).
It's cheaper to buy the game-of-the-year edition of Fallout 3 than to buy the add-ons individually. Plus you get Zeta which I'm not sure if you can buy as a standalone.

So, my question. Is it possible to simply add the add-ons from the GOTY edition without trashing saves, settings etc., from my previously installed game? I don't want to have duplicate installed versions of the game, but I'm not sure if pointing the GOTY installer at the existing directory will trash anything.

If anyone has done this, let me know if it works.
Thanks,
J

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
You should just be able to copy your saved file to somewhere safe. Uninstall normal Fallout 3 and install the GOTY Edition on top. I see no reason why your current saved game won't work in the GOTY Edition as Bethesda games only get picky about saved files when you remove content (such as uninstalling an add-on and trying to load the save), installing the original game and then some add-ons on top should just add that extra content to your saved game like it would were you to install them individually.

Don't hold me to that, but I did a lot of modding with Oblivion and F3 works almost identically to that with regards to mods, so my best guess is that it will work.

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for the answer.

What I really want to do is put the GOTY disk in, and just add/install the additional content.

Having to uninstall my initial install just bugs me.

I don't know how integrated the add-ons are into the GOTY disk, if anyone has the disk at hand, could you look and see if the add-ons have their own installers on the disk?

However, the route you suggest may be the only option :(

StatiicGrazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
It sounds like setting your saves in a different location on your computer. I think the way to get to the saves is something like: start-->((User Name))-->Documents : Then you'll have to find Fallout 3 and the folder that holds your characters information. You might have to re-set your settings after doing the GOTY in, but it's a safe bet to copy and paste your character just incase.

I recently deleted my fallout 3 stuff or else I'd give more specific directions.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/

This is where I get nearly all my fallout 3 mods. They're user created mods for after you're finished with the DLC, there's even a file manager for the extra content to help manage the extra content.

Happy Hunting.

TRENDING THREADS