MSI NEO-2 LS dead experience

Dodgy_Bob

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post what has happened to me today to see if anyone has had same experience amd/or can give me pointers as to what caused it.

I received parts for my new set-up and duly went about building it. The set-up was :

MSI NEO-2 LS MB
P4 3.0Ghz 800FSB
2 x Corsair XMS 256MB PC3700
Hitachi Deskstar 180GB
Creative GeForce 3 Ti200 (my old card)
New case (bog standard dealers make)

I stuck it all together (I've done this MANY times before btw) powered up and all the lights came on for a split second then went off. I wasn't worried by this as another of my systems does this when I first turn the power on at the wall.

However, this is where it went wrong. The LAN lights on the back were lit but that was the only sign of life. The machine wouldn't power up at all. No beeps, no lights, no fans, no noise. Nothing. Nada. I tried turning round the pins for the power switch etc but nothing.

So, I took everything out except the CPU. Still nothing. I waggled the power cables to make sure they had a tight fit on MB. They were fine. It was as I was sat there looking at it, wondering what to do next that there was a pop and a flash, followed by the dreaded smell of burning. Obviously I disconnected power immediately.

After examining the MB for ages I couldn't find a mark on it, nor on the CPU. I tried connecting it up but it was still dead. And this time the LAN LEDs were out too.

I've sent it back for exchange as a dead MB but does anyone have any ideas? Was it just case of a duff MB or was it something I could of done?

I'm very experienced with computers and have built many systems in the past.

Thanks for your help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dodgy_Bob on 11/03/03 06:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

simleep

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003
Sounds very strange. I have a NEO 2 FIS2R, with which I have had a number of problems but not this one. Does the Nothbridge fan turn? If not it sounds more like a problem with the power supply. You don't mention what this is in the post. Is it new? MSI make a big deal about the amps required for the individual voltages. There is some information on their website about this.