Lost user profile

I have a user profile in WindowsXP, but somehow I have stuffed up XP and
need to reboot.
After reboot, the login screen is for the Administrator.
So my original user profile is lost. How do I recover my original user
profile?
2
answers
Last reply
More about lost user profile

    Here I got a solution for you. Try out these options and let me know how it
    goes.

    1. Add Users to the Welcome Screen

    Start/Run/Regedit

    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    Create a value for the users you want to list (using the Username), and set
    the value to 1.
    2. A User Account Does Not Appear in the User Accounts Tool or the Welcome
    Screen

    An existing user account may not appear in the User Accounts tool in Control
    Panel, or on the Welcome screen. You may also receive the following error
    message when you attempt to create a new account:

    The account already exists

    This behavior occurs because you have disabled the account. Disabled user
    accounts do not appear in the User Accounts tool, or on the Welcome logon
    screen. You can only access these accounts in the Local Users and Groups
    snap-in.

    To resolve this behavior, first determine whether an account is not active:

    1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    2. Expand the Local Users and Groups node.
    3. Click Users.

    If the user account is displayed with a red X through it, it has been
    disabled.

    To enable the account:

    1. Double click the account.
    2. Click to clear the "Account is disabled" check box.
    3. Logon Name Not in Task Manager or Under Documents & Settings

    When the Welcome screen is appears, the names that are displayed do not
    match any of the names of users' folders under the Documents and Settings
    folder or any of the names on the Users tab in Task Manager.

    This behavior may occur if you have changed the name of the account in the
    User Accounts tool in Control Panel. By doing so, the new name appears on the
    Welcome screen, but the actual account name remains the same. The folders
    under the Documents and Settings folder and the names that are listed in Task
    Manager show the actual account name.

    To resolve this behavior, if the display name for a user account has been
    changed, you can find out which account the new display name belongs to by
    logging on as that user, starting Task Manager, and then clicking the Users
    tab.

    The user account that is marked as active is the one that is currently
    logged on. Also, you can find out which of the folders under Documents and
    Settings belongs to the currently logged-on user by right-clicking Start, and
    then clicking Explore. Windows Explorer will then start in the Start Menu
    folder of the currently logged-on user's folder.
    --
    Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if this
    was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.

    Matthew Senecal

    "Man Utd" wrote:

    > I have a user profile in WindowsXP, but somehow I have stuffed up XP and
    > need to reboot.
    > After reboot, the login screen is for the Administrator.
    > So my original user profile is lost. How do I recover my original user
    > profile?

    1) I have not done this option. I used the Control Panel to create an
    identical user account.

    2) I didn't find my previous account name with red cross, I found the same
    name enabled but not sure it was my previous account or this newly created
    account.

    3) I found my previous account name under Documents and Settings. How do I
    make use of this ?

    "Matthew Senecal" <MatthewSenecal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:7411E17F-2A58-4EDF-87E9-F59597955C70@microsoft.com...

Microsoft Windows XP