Best High-end Gaming PC configuration to beat all games until 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Please help me get the best available PC configuration to play high-end games which would beat the PS3 and XBOX 360 Gaming consoles.
I need a configuration which would beat every upcoming game until 2015.
My budget is around $1600 USD.

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Here is a nice piece of advice in this matter. No one else would give you.

I have observed, that once you buy a good card, a high end one, then generally you would not need to upgrade the card for at least two years, and the card may last up to even seven or eight years (unless you have an unreasonable itch for the new things). Five years-- is my guarantee.

But here, you want that the whole PC should last 5 years. That may be possible. Though it would seem to one that 5 years is just too much, remember, that upgradation after 2-3 years is for the ones who buy low end systems; not for those who buy the higher end systems.

Let us see what configuration comes out as the best one-- these are just the main components:

1. You should buy two Sapphire ATI Radeons 5890s (Trust me, even a single 5870 is enough for 5 years and for a display size of 56 inches! Yes, for all the future games for at least 5 years!)
2. The processor, if you can afford, then the Shanghai one from AMD must be it. Which one among them, depends upon your budget. But you cannot compromise on the processor speed. You would need to buy a good mo'bo' and one of the fastest high-end processors available today. It could be an iCore from Intel, but be sure that it should be the one equivalent to the "Extreme" quad core category by Intel (like QX6850 etc).
3. The PSU should be the rather recent launch from the Sapphire Tech, powered 1250 watts.
4. Buy the fastest RAMs (ask for the RAM speed), like they have DDR5. But if you don't get it, then 8GB of DDR3 (1866 or 1600 mhz) should be just more than enough for 5 years.
5. Lastly, buy an SCSI hard disk with the highest speed.

True, the above may exceed your budget, but there are 2 things to consider. One, the margin in the above configuration is tremendous. So you can make cuts in the configuration to fit it in your budget.

Secondly, if you don't buy the above configuration from a branded company, instead get it assembled from a good local computer vendor, then you sure could get a much better deal in the above configuration. If the PC is properly assembled, then trust me, in 5 years, not even once should you need to call your computer guy. (Ensure you have earthing where you use the computer.)

I think if you stick to the above configuration even for 5 years, including the processor, then all that would happen with the future games is that the frame rate would decrease, but very slightly. I don't think the difference between your system and the contemporary system after 5 years would be enough for your eyes to even notice! Yep! And whatever games your PC won't be able to play then, the contemporary PCs wouldn't handle at all, either!!!

Enjoy!!!

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
While I'm not saying HolyDoom is wrong, I do find some of his/her choices a little strange.

If you're looking for a PC that will still run in 5 years, then go for quality components and pretty much any PC will still be running as well as today in 5 years. Also, beating Xbox and PS3 in performance isn't too difficult either (ignoring fanboys - a decent PC now has better hardware capabilities than a console).

Anyway, onto your question - if you're looking for a PC that will run new games well in a few years, you'll need to go high end now.

CPU - Either an i7 or a high end i5. A top end AMD quad core might be fine, but my personal recommendation is for an Intel.
RAM - DDR3 is the fastest RAM currently available. I'd go for at least 6-8GB for future-proofing.
GPU - You'll need DX11 for games in the next few years, so your current choice is only ATI. Go for 5870 if your screen is under 1920x1200, 5970 if it's bigger.
HDD - Forget SCSI. Seriously. Get a 160GB SSD (Intel or one with an Indilinx controller) for your C drive and get a 2TB HDD for your D drive to hold all your files. videos, etc.
PSU - Go for a quality brand of at least 850W. That should keep you running sweet for years. If you're going for the 5970 or are likely to go Crossfire or SLI on future GPUs later, I'd probably stretch to 1000W. Make sure it's a quality brand - do not go for a lesser make no matter what numbers it quotes!

You probably would save money though by building one level down from top on each component now, and then upgrading anything that needs it in 3 years. A £150 GPU in 3 years will be quicker than one that costs £500 now, if past performance is anything to go by. Same with CPU and most other components. Just a thought mate. :)

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
You're computer WILL be outdated by next year. NO computer is future proof. But something like Confused stu's setup will play most games in the next couple years. Just wanted to let you know that the phrase "future proof" doesnt exist in the homebuilt computer world. :) have fun gaming. - Also, for gaming, definitely AMD cpu.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

Not trying to play into any fanboy-ism, but I'm just curious why you would say that unless specifically about price point?

The only thing I would caution going forward with gaming CPUs is that dual cores might not be enough in just a couple of years and it might be worth it to throw a little extra $$ at a quad core.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Not a fan of hollydoom's advice at all....

even with ridiculously bleeding edge expenditure, there's no guarentee that wehat you buy will be any good for even 18 months...

Take my pc for example - cost me about $3000 when i built it in november 2006 - E6600, 975XBX, 2gb RAM, 2x250gb hdd, dvdrw and 2x 7950gt cards in SLI - just starting to struggle with some games so i upgraded to a 4670 grpahics card (for $60 lol) the orginal cards cost me $600 in total.

Literally the day after i built it directx 10 and the 8800gt got annouced and shortly after the news that windows vista needed dx10 to support all the features - how gutted was I....

Besides it depends on what monitors you're running - my res is 1280x1024, the card ive got is fine, to say it runs on a 60" screen is nonsense - depends on the resolution - as far as i'm aware no pc currently buldable will run crysis flawlessly on a massively high res monitor - and i bet if you got one of those sony quad hd projectors (3840x2160) it'd really struggle.

My advice is simply buy the best you can afford - be mindful of leaving an upgrade path to whichever companies 6-core cpus you opt for, get at least 6gb of ram and SSD's for at least the boot drive, this will be the most cost effective way of increasing performance now and in the future.

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hey, people. :sweat:

I am getting a gaming PC just because PS3 and XBOX 360 cannot play games directly off the hard drives like the PS2. :ouch:

Let me inform you that I'm gonna buy this PC in June/July 2010, and that too only if the above consoles don't get easier to hack :cry:

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Then I am sorry to say that this wasn't the right time to start this thread. Because everybody thinks you are waiting for their advice.

Thx

ninjawarlord

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
I wanna play these games at MAX settings :-

Assassin's creed 1 & 2

Batman - Arkham Asylum

Bioshock 2

Borderlands

Call of duty : Modern warfare 1 & 2, World at War

Devil may cry 4

Hitman - entire series

Fallout 3

Far cry 2

GTA 4

Gran turismo 5

NFS - entire series

Burnout Paradise

Prince of Persia - entire series

Resident Evil - entire series

Resistance 2

Crysis 1 & 2

MAXIMUM SETTINGS.

HolyDoom Witch

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I still stand, by whatever I said. You should inquire more about it.

"hahahah a $500-$600 pc could beat a ps3 or xbox 360 easily "
What compfreak93 said is true.

Thx

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008

One of your biggest issues will be that these games are not going to be available on the PC...

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007

I gotta say excellent list of games. With the exceptions of the few that will not be released for the PC as orionite states.

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Intel is better as far as CPU's go, but AMD gives them a run for there money in the price department. Completely up to you. But Moore's law states, technically it will be outdated in 18 months.

And as of right now, that law is coming into truth. The 7nm transistor was just created. So your hardware will be "outdated", but with the components listed in this thread, I'd say you would easily be able to play every new game on high settings for 4 years or so

G

ok i think you have lot of money buddy....so just go and buy

geforce gtx 480 graphic card atleast 1gb
atleast 6 gb ddr 3 ram....
inter core i7 960

and very important a hd display

and enjoy all new and old game maxxxxximum settings.. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.