Still the same probem : AMD 3700+ Athlon 64 Lock Up?

Hello folks,

Thanks for your replys!

I have ruled out the possibility of overheating - My current CPU core
temperature is now in the region of 34'C - 38'C. Previously it was about
70'C ! I just recently purchase a thermaltake Kandalf super tower case.
A monstrous tower with 5 fans built into the ah heck. My muscles are wasted!

Now the funny thing is that my Windows XP installation went further than
before. It used to stop at the text stage of the windows installation -
"windows is now transferring files to the hard drive".

Now the files are now been transferred to the hard drive but it still
continues to stop at the graphical stage of transferring additional
files. I think it could well be an issue with interference / crosstalk
but I tried every possible arrangement for the cables to be neat to my
best of my ability. Is there any tools or apparatus that prevent crosstalk?

My PC specifications are:

Lan Party UT N f4 Ultra D Motherboard.
160 GB SATA HD as SATA 1.
512 DDR 400 Megabyte of RAM on Dimm Slot 2.
EIDE CD - ROM 52x as Primary master.
EIDE ROCIH DVD as Primary slave.
GForce 6800 Ultra on PCI - E.
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939 socket.
Kandalf Supertower by Thermaltake.

frodo

I take it this is a new system.

run memtest86+ for at least 1 hour to make sure ram is ok. zero errors is
the only acceptable result, otherwise resolve the issue before proceeding.
Moving the stick to a different slot MAY resolve any problems, it's worth
a try. Tweaking bios mem timings may be required. Sometimes it's
necessary to replace the stick w/ one from a different manufacturer - I've
seen MB's that would not work w/ Crucial mem but worked fine w/ Corsair or
vice-versa (yet the crucial workes fine in other boards). Go figure...

ensure bios is most-current. 3700 is a fairly new chip, and bios's
contain processor microcode patches, be sure you have latest bios.

and of course review all bios settings. one "gotcha" w/ AMD bios's is the
APIC Mode setting - it should be ENABLED (to permit more that 16 levels of
interrupt). If not enabled you won't get the ACPI Hal installed
(which is desireable).

----

One tip-off: you said it worked fine until you got to the GUI stage - this
can often be the result of the HD Driver - did you do the F6 thing to
install a driver for the SATA drive from a floppy disk?
Get the latest nForce package from nVidia.

And of course check in DFI's forums, their users are savy...

frodo@theshire.org wrote:
> I take it this is a new system.
>
> run memtest86+ for at least 1 hour to make sure ram is ok. zero errors is
> the only acceptable result, otherwise resolve the issue before proceeding.
> Moving the stick to a different slot MAY resolve any problems, it's worth
> a try. Tweaking bios mem timings may be required. Sometimes it's
> necessary to replace the stick w/ one from a different manufacturer - I've
> seen MB's that would not work w/ Crucial mem but worked fine w/ Corsair or
> vice-versa (yet the crucial workes fine in other boards). Go figure...
>
> ensure bios is most-current. 3700 is a fairly new chip, and bios's
> contain processor microcode patches, be sure you have latest bios.
>
> and of course review all bios settings. one "gotcha" w/ AMD bios's is the
> APIC Mode setting - it should be ENABLED (to permit more that 16 levels of
> interrupt). If not enabled you won't get the ACPI Hal installed
> (which is desireable).
>
> ----
>
> One tip-off: you said it worked fine until you got to the GUI stage - this
> can often be the result of the HD Driver - did you do the F6 thing to
> install a driver for the SATA drive from a floppy disk?
> Get the latest nForce package from nVidia.
>
> And of course check in DFI's forums, their users are savy...

Thanks for the info. I will try some of these suggestions that you have
made. I was about to try to a diagnostic check on my hard drive but as
you can see, I am out of luck. This was copied from Maxtor website
diagnostic section.

Note: PowerMax v 4.21 will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected
to embedded or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 3, Force 4, VIA KT
600 and KT800 chipsets. If the hard disk is connected to an unsupported
controller, it will have to be moved to an alternate system, or
controller for diagnosis. Please check the PowerMax download page
periodically for updates. Beginning March 1st 2005 all versions of
PowerMax prior to v4.21 will no longer be supported. Maxtor recommends
that you update to version 4.21 before testing your hard disk.

I will try memtest to see what happens.

Cheers,

Rob