KT600 Mobo review

moG

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003
How can MSI KT16 Delta "Make by far the best showing" when the Soyo KT600 Dargon Ultra P scored higher in 21 of the 24 benchmark tests?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Who cares? Nobody needs to buy KT600 based mobos.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I am kind of curous... Soyo has been good to me over the years...

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Irrelavent, since any AMD system without an nForce2 chipset is low class.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
That's not true crash - Might not be as good as nforce2 in most respects but KT600 is good for the average user, and them some. Low class? Nah-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anything VIA makes is good for nothing greater than filling a trash bucket.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
nVidia was the best thing to happen to AMD since Intel.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Some Nforce2 mobos are so cheap now that there is no argument for VIA on socket 462.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
So if I want to replace my Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra with a board that supports a 200fsb (so I can overclock my Barton 2500+) and an on-board RAID, LAN, etc., which boards should I be looking at? I have been eyeing the Soyo KT600 because I may not have to reinstall my os and rebuild everything.

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
I build in mass Guys. In my own shop. I also review. Im not just a forum chronie. While the nVIDA Nforce2 is great, KT600 is not low class. I build with all three. Nforce2, VIA, and SIS. Yes...even SIS 735,746. 25 SIS K7S5A'a to my credit. 15 SIS 746. 55 KT266A VIA, 20 VIA KT333 and KT400 combined - 15 KT600. 35 Nforce2. So I think I can truely rate without prejudice.

There is a place for nearly all chipsets for people to use. Not everyone overclocks, and some people still want to use SDRAM with an XP1900-2400 (ECS K7S5A). Building a Soyo KT600 Platinum righ now with 2x 36g raptors raided- and 120 Gig WD for storage - 9800 Pro AIW for a customer. I think He'll like it. I run an Nforce2 and VIA KT600 - like them both.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
My current experience of VIA boards is: owned 3, 1 worked fine for a while (although was hopeless for overclocking, but that's no biggie) 1 was ok for a year and now refuses to work at it's rated speed, and even underclocked is rather unstable, and the third one has been awful from the off (but it was free, so hey-ho....)

True, I'm biased because I like Overclocking, and if you're buying loads at once that few extra $ for the nforce2 option will add up to a fair wedge, but I'd still go for the nforce2 mobos, as I've had problems with two thirds of the VIA boards I've owned so I won't trust them...

I'm sure CrashMan will list his reasons at some point, but I think he's had loads of problems with them in the past (he also sells and reviews systems)...

Just on a side note, I'd be annoyed if I got all that nice expensive Hardware on a KT600 mobo... But then I'd build my own system, so it's never going to be an issue :wink:

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
No reason to be annoyed with the Soyo mainboard and the aforementioned hardware. It stands head over heals better than the rest (VIA) with a very good /6 divisor many are getting 220- 230 FSB. The problems with VIA boards I know better than most because I am a part of the VIA community..so to speak, and have been for a long time. VIA had problems with certain versions of 4 in 1's, and the implementation of 8X AGP instructions, but if you really paid attention those problems were with the highest rated brands...like Asus (KT400). Abit had a much better KT400 board, Epox pretty good. Soyo very good but flakey at times, as was the KT266a D+ with mem slots and PCI slots. Then we also have the VIA drivers not working well with creative cards. The list goes on. However, having said that there were work arounds - and like I said if you noticed some boards makers implementations of the VIA chipset were better than others.

Shift to Nforce2. Great chipset, but...not without it's own set of probelms especially with earlier revisions (1.2 Asus and Abit and Epox). And the way MCP_T is filterd by way of Soundstorm on certain boards, namely one of the better ones like Asus had problems with Popping, Skipping un games, terrible chirping. Again, even with 1.2 revisions there were work arounds that involved driver version, order of the drivers with regards to installation, DX, and vid drivers installed. It did, and still does matter on many nforce2 boards. You can read thousands of threads about Nforce2 IDE and sound problems at Nforcers HQ. With time, drivers (NVIDA) some of them remixed, and better revisions of mainboards things really did improve.

Generally speaking. Yes, Nforce2 is better. Clearly.