Disk Defragmenter

Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that some files
can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell computer and windows
xp
--
Bill
7 answers Last reply

    That's probably normal operation. Things like your pagefile and
    certain boot time files cannot be defragmented or moved around.
    If you were a super tech it might be meaningful but if that's the
    only error message and if Analyze shows that you don't have to
    defragment, then all is fine.

    HTH,

    PopS

    "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that
    some files
    : can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell
    computer and windows
    : xp
    : --
    : Bill

    Hi,

    The included defrag tool cannot defrag the MFT among other things. There
    will always be some small percentage of defragmentation unless you use a
    third party product, in which case the 100% defrag is only likely to last
    until you next use the machine (unless you like totally defragmented
    doorstops?). Anyhow, this is normal and should not be of concern.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that some files
    > can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell computer and
    > windows
    > xp
    > --
    > Bill

    The amount of free space is very important when running Disk
    Defragmenter. A
    minimum of 15% is required but sometimes 20% is desirable if the drive /
    partition
    contains one or more large files. You can run Disk Defragmenter a second
    and third
    time if files are still fragmented after the first run. You can put
    files more prone to
    fragment in their own partitions.

    If you use Outlook Express regularly compacting Outlook Express before
    running
    Disk Defragmenter is helpful.

    Disk Defragmenter provides a "Most fragmented files" list. When a
    fragmented file is
    larger than the largest pocket of free space available then the files is
    not fragmented.
    Running Disk Defragmenter a second or third time does move files around
    and can
    reduce / eliminate the contents of the "Most fragmented files" list. The
    more free
    space on the drive / partition, the more likely it is that all fragments
    will be
    eliminated.

    Free space cannot be defragmented with the Windows XP Disk Defragmenter.
    Neither can your pagefile cannot be defragmented because the file is in
    use whilst
    Disk Defragmenter is running. You can purchase other Defragmenting
    Utilities e.g.
    Perfect Disk, which will defragment your pagefile and free space.
    Another option is to
    place your pagefile in it's own partition. A pagefile partition is best
    located as the first
    partition on a second hard drive. You should leave a small page file at
    the original
    location.
    http://www.raxco.com/

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that some
    > files
    > can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell computer and
    > windows
    > xp
    > --
    > Bill

    Rick

    Is the position still the same for Home Edition and Professional Edition? References in the Resource Kit suggest they may now be different. What you say is certainly true for Home Edition.

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uPAKz05uFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > The included defrag tool cannot defrag the MFT among other things. There
    > will always be some small percentage of defragmentation unless you use a
    > third party product, in which case the 100% defrag is only likely to last
    > until you next use the machine (unless you like totally defragmented
    > doorstops?). Anyhow, this is normal and should not be of concern.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that some files
    >> can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell computer and
    >> windows
    >> xp
    >> --
    >> Bill

    Hi Gerry,

    It's the same tool, and the results should be similar. I've found nothing to
    suggest otherwise.

    --

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    Rick

    Is the position still the same for Home Edition and Professional Edition?
    References in the Resource Kit suggest they may now be different. What you
    say is certainly true for Home Edition.

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Hi,
    >
    > The included defrag tool cannot defrag the MFT among other things. There
    > will always be some small percentage of defragmentation unless you use a
    > third party product, in which case the 100% defrag is only likely to last
    > until you next use the machine (unless you like totally defragmented
    > doorstops?). Anyhow, this is normal and should not be of concern.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that some
    >> files
    >> can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell computer and
    >> windows
    >> xp
    >> --
    >> Bill

    Rick

    Am I misinterpreting this link?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tzol.asp

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23QAow9FvFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Gerry,
    >
    > It's the same tool, and the results should be similar. I've found nothing to
    > suggest otherwise.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    > Rick
    >
    > Is the position still the same for Home Edition and Professional Edition?
    > References in the Resource Kit suggest they may now be different. What you
    > say is certainly true for Home Edition.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Regards.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The included defrag tool cannot defrag the MFT among other things. There
    >> will always be some small percentage of defragmentation unless you use a
    >> third party product, in which case the 100% defrag is only likely to last
    >> until you next use the machine (unless you like totally defragmented
    >> doorstops?). Anyhow, this is normal and should not be of concern.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that some
    >>> files
    >>> can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell computer and
    >>> windows
    >>> xp
    >>> --
    >>> Bill

    Hi Gerry,

    Apparently some changes have been made to defrag support, and though I can
    find numerous references to it, nothing indicates that it is limited to just
    the Pro version. Other than the link you provided, all other articles seem
    to indicate both Home and Pro are being treated the same.

    --

    Rick

    Am I misinterpreting this link?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tzol.asp

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Hi Gerry,
    >
    > It's the same tool, and the results should be similar. I've found nothing
    > suggest otherwise.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    > Rick
    >
    > Is the position still the same for Home Edition and Professional Edition?
    > References in the Resource Kit suggest they may now be different. What you
    > say is certainly true for Home Edition.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Regards.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The included defrag tool cannot defrag the MFT among other things. There
    >> will always be some small percentage of defragmentation unless you use a
    >> third party product, in which case the 100% defrag is only likely to last
    >> until you next use the machine (unless you like totally defragmented
    >> doorstops?). Anyhow, this is normal and should not be of concern.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi i have a question when i Defagmenter my computer it say that some
    >>> files
    >>> can't be Defragmenter way is it say that. I have a dell computer and
    >>> windows
    >>> xp
    >>> --
    >>> Bill