Sign in with
Your question

Is a PS3 worth buying ?

Last response: in Video Games
January 5, 2010 5:59:00 AM

I'm on a budget and in-all I can't spend more than $1600 USD that I would be getting in June 2010.

Is a PS3 worth buying which would last for more than 10 years(at least Sony thinks so) which would play only PS3 games.

Or, should I buy a $1600 USD Gaming PC ?
BTW, it would play games made for PC, PS2, PSP, GBA, etc.(via Emulators)

OR
Should i buy an $800 USD average gaming PC which would play games made for PC, PS2, PSP, GBA, etc.(via Emulators)
+
a PS3 w/ 8 games
+
a PSP ? :sweat: 

Whatd'ya say folks ?

More about : ps3 worth buying

January 5, 2010 12:22:24 PM

What games do you want to play? Can you get those games on the PC? Can you get the emulators and ROMS for the PC? What ELSE do you want to do with your purchase?
m
l
January 7, 2010 8:50:21 AM

My one friend owns an Xbox 360 and another a PS3... I have been continually upgrading my PC over the last7 years, and although I have spent more money than they have I just want to add that I have been gaming continuously for 7 years. I will be able to update my pc continuously as games progress where the consoles will just fall behind and become antique.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2010 9:08:55 AM

staalkoppie said:
My one friend owns an Xbox 360 and another a PS3... I have been continually upgrading my PC over the last7 years, and although I have spent more money than they have I just want to add that I have been gaming continuously for 7 years. I will be able to update my pc continuously as games progress where the consoles will just fall behind and become antique.

Yeah, but GTA4 sucks on the PC, Street Fighter 4 is the first time a beat-em-up has worked properly on a PC and Orange Box was rubbish on consoles.

It doesn't matter if consoles become antiquated - Tekken Tag Tournament on my PS2 is still going strong, Wipeout 2097 on PS1 is the best in the franchise and gets more play time than Wipeout HD on my PS3, and Super Mario World on the SNES is still the best platformer ever.

So, the question comes back to what I said earlier: what games do you want to play? Can you get those games for the PC? Are the games any good on the console? What ELSE do you want to do with your system?
m
l
January 7, 2010 9:23:18 AM

the questions is indeed what games do you want to play?
old/retro games?
new games
low-demanding games (sims, WOW,...)

a PS3 might last 10 years, but you would only be able to play PS3 games (no ps2) and when the PS4 comes out, you'll miss those games. and a PS3 can break after a year as well (not likely, but possible).

a PC can last a long time too, but you have to buy the latest technology if you want to upgrade later. (i would suggest buying a graphic card that suits your needs (how big is your monitor?) and plenty of ram(4GB is enough for the moment, but adding ram years later can be tricky))

second questions is: how long does it need to last?
3years? you can go with a medium pc or ps3
4years? high end pc and maybe ps3
5+y? newest technology pc with upgrades later; ps3: who knows, ps4 would probably exist already
m
l
January 7, 2010 2:23:29 PM

To be honest, asking if a ps3 is worth buying will draw the flak of console warriors everywhere.

The best thing to do is not only look at your budget now, but your future budgets, because if you go for a PC then you will need to upgrade it to keep it up-to-date. Personally, I bought an Xbox 360 on release as that was what my budget at the time allowed, built my PC after I had a stable income, then got a PS3 after there were enough games on it that would justify a purchase. Wii fell in there somewhere, pretty sure after PC but before PS3 (contrary to what the vocal minority say, there are some VERY good games on the Wii).

Go where the games are, my friend. Go where the games are.

In response to the PS3 not playing PS2 games, pretty sure I heard a future firmware update would re-add that functionality, and PS2s can be picked up second-hand for like $20 so that's not a big deal.

Tl;dr - list the games you want on each platform, then get the platform with the most. Personally, I'd say an $800-900 PC will do you just fine, just don't expect full settings on everything.
m
l
January 7, 2010 3:21:37 PM

For the ease of play... yes a PS3 is worth buying (same goes for other consoles). Stick a disc in and away you go. Pc gaming while it offers better visuals etc can be a nightmare - some games requiring £300 video cards alone to run. Even then there is no guarantee the next wave of games out will work at high settings on your existing kit.

m
l
January 8, 2010 9:29:52 PM

fjiekie said:

a PS3 might last 10 years, but you would only be able to play PS3 games (no ps2) and when the PS4 comes out, you'll miss those games. and a PS3 can break after a year as well (not likely, but possible).

How can a PS3 break ???
Don't give me nightmares. :sweat: 
m
l
January 8, 2010 9:36:17 PM

Here's the games' list :-

Assassin's creed 1 & 2
Batman - Arkham Asylum
Bioshock 2
Borderlands
Call of duty : Modern warfare 1 & 2, World at War
Devil may cry 4
Hitman - entire series
Fallout 3
Far cry 2
GTA 4
God of war 3
Gran turismo 5
Killzone 2
Little big planet
NFS - entire series
Burnout Paradise
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2
Prince of Persia - entire series
Resident Evil 5 - entire series
Resistance 2
Metal gear solid 4
m
l
January 8, 2010 10:08:35 PM

And this time, consider I'm gonna spend $1800 USD !!!!
m
l
January 9, 2010 7:24:45 PM

Do you have a nice TV to play it on? Consider that the PS3 will be getting a retroactive 3d enabling patch in the next year, that will work with 3d capable TVs, and it might be a good way to go.

Obviously, if GoW3, GT5, KZ2 and MGS4 are important enough, you really have no alternative but to get a PS3.
m
l
!