Comp will not start

Whatthe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2003
System specs:
AMD 2400 (new) old was a AMD 1900
Shuttle Ak35GT2R (new)(old was same just replaced it)
2x256 Corsair XMS 333 Memory (reused)
450 Watt powersupply (new) (old was a 400 watt)
ATI 8500 Vid card (reused)
Western Dig. 80 gig drive (reused)
Creative 52x cdrom (reused)
Creative 1012E cd-writer (reused)

Put all my new parts together in a new case. Starts fine runs I shut it down. Move it into my room starts up no video ok I shut it down. Check all wires and stuff everything seems ok. Press start nothing. Nothing meaning not even a fan twitch. I had the same exact problem with my old stuff listed above.That is why I have new equip. I have tried 3 mobo's, 2 cpu's, and 3 power supplies. I have tested my Vid card in another computer and it works fine. All drives also work fine when hooked up to a different computer.

What is causing this to happened? (I have read the faq and my mobo is being grounded out improperly by a poorly placed stud) This is the third time, hence three mobo's, this has happend. I have rebuilt a few computers and they always ran and still run good

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pull your motherboard, lay it on a piece of cardboard/phonebook/nonconductive surface, connect nothing but a video card, RAM, CPU, and power supply, and jump the power on jumper with a screwdriver. If it comes up, it was a problem with the way the system was assembled, either a grounded board or nonworking/disconnected power button.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Take the old 400w pws and plug it into the mobo and turn it on. See if it starts. If it does, try switching back to the 450w pws.

Silly as it may sound I've had 2 comps come into the shop that wouldn't start off the pws in the customer's case. Just connecting up a different pws and turning it on worked. Switching back to the original after that caused the system to restart correctly. Why this happens I don't know. I've not gone out inquiring for answers. Maybe I should have.

Are you connecting this thing to a surge protector? Try a different room other then the one you were having problems in.

I can tell you power supplies can be packaged and rated as super power supplies and still be total crap inside.

Whatthe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2003
I tried what both of you siad and still nothing. I can hear the power supply discharge after i turn it off. The outlets in my room have poor to zero ground. I changed the outlet and still no ground.

could that be the problem? I have the comp in the room it worked in but still nothing.

Could it be just a bad batch of Mobo's? They don't sell them anymore and when i sent it in for a replace they could have given me the next one on the shelf. Is that even feasible?

Thank you for the advice.

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Did you pull it out and put it onto a pizza box or phone book with just the pws attached and short the power jumpers? You should try that.

If you get it to power on start putting things back in.

I had a unit today in the shop that worked. We were trying to find out why the pny gforce 5200 fx was locking up after windows started. I decided to see if the pws was the issue and put a 450 in it. After that I had problems getting it to power on.

I pulled everything out of the case and ensured that it was mounted properly to the bottom plate. Then put it back together. It powered on fine. Seems I must have caused a short or something like that.

Taking it out of your case and trying it while placed on a phone book will eliminate this as the cause.

No, it probably isn't a bad batch of mobos.

DJ_Kuehn

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2003
This may sound silly, but if it worked when you first put it together, but then stopped powering on completely when you moved it into your room, you probably have bad power in your room. Try another outlet (the one it originally worked on) and see if it works there. You said your room has bad ground and you replaced the plug. That might not change anything because the bad ground could be in the wall somewhere or even in your breaker box. If the wall power is REALLY bad for some reason, you may have damaged your supply or motherboard when you first tried to use it in your room.

I would move it to a plug you know is good and try it there. If that doesn't work, definately try to motherboard outside of the case. Grounding is often a problem as the mb will not power on if its grounded.