Having problems with new comp, please help

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Hello all -
I just finished putting together a new system, and am having some problems. I've been installing drivers and programs and such, and occasionally the computer will freeze. It sometimes also happens when I'm surfing. Also, sometimes I will just lose my internet connection, and have to restart the comp to get it back. I have installed all of the drivers that came with my mobo, to no avail. I would appreciate any insights you might have into this matter.
AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton (currently at 200x8)
DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra mobo
GeForce3 TI 64MB
Maxtor 60GB 7200 RPM HDD
Lite-On DVD-ROM
Fortron Source 400W PSU

Thanks all for your help.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by patchworkblue on 11/06/03 11:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
push your ram and graphics card harder. they may not be in properly. you may have a faulty PSU or heatsink which is causeing overheating when your comp runs with a few applications,

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6973142" target="_new">3dmark2001</A>

2.4C @ 3.0G
Asus P4C800
Corsair 2x512 3200
Sapphire 9600pro @ 500/700
80G Seagate S-ATA150

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
I am not having an overheating problem, and I pushed them in harder, but I'm still having problems. I have not gone over 42 degrees Celsius, yet. And I am using a cable modem. I think that all of my problems have occured while online, like surfing the net, or using aol messenger, or such.
ADDITION: I was just downloading a file, and my computer locked up, and the mobo speaker just started going off - like, non stop. One long, continuous beep. I am getting so frustrated. I have a bad habit of kicking computers when the don't work, and I was a second away from putting my shoe through the case window. And no, I haven't abused this computer. Yet.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by patchworkblue on 11/07/03 01:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Patchworkblue

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Oh I guess I forgot to put that in there. I'm using 512MB of Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS 2 at stock speed and timings.

Women--can't live with them, can't have heterosexual same-species intercourse without them.

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Start swapping parts would be my suggestion. Get some replacement ram and try that--borrow from a friend, etc.

I've had locks that seemed to only occur while surfing or using the internet. My question would be whether you have problems other then when surfing or doing internet related things.

The cause of the problem, at least the most recent one, that caused that problem (actually in a couple of computers) was a bad nic and/or drivers.