XP File Transfer Wizard waits, and waits, and waits......

I have a new Dell with XP & am trying to transfer files from a 5 yr old
machine (windows 98). I follow the xp file transfer wizard, create a
floppy and execute on the old machine, & connect the two with a cable to
serial ports. Both machines have the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
running with the "Please Wait" box displaying. The Dell has 2 COM ports, the
old (Systemax) has 3. I've tried all combinations. I've spent some time
googling COM ports & null modem serial cables, but without luck. Alas, those
star-crossed machines are still trying to connect.
3 answers Last reply
More about file transfer wizard waits waits waits

    In 98,set the wizard as old computer,select the files,settings,put the data
    in a new folder that you create,once data is complete,move to a cd,or have
    xp wizard browse to the new folder.You dont need a floppy for this,a floppy
    would be too small to hold any amount of data.

    "John Tipton" wrote:

    > I have a new Dell with XP & am trying to transfer files from a 5 yr old
    > machine (windows 98). I follow the xp file transfer wizard, create a
    > floppy and execute on the old machine, & connect the two with a cable to
    > serial ports. Both machines have the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
    > running with the "Please Wait" box displaying. The Dell has 2 COM ports, the
    > old (Systemax) has 3. I've tried all combinations. I've spent some time
    > googling COM ports & null modem serial cables, but without luck. Alas, those
    > star-crossed machines are still trying to connect.

    You are, of course, using a cross-over cable and not a straight-through
    cable, correct?

    steve

    "John Tipton" <JohnTipton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new Dell with XP & am trying to transfer files from a 5 yr old
    > machine (windows 98). I follow the xp file transfer wizard, create a
    > floppy and execute on the old machine, & connect the two with a cable to
    > serial ports. Both machines have the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
    > running with the "Please Wait" box displaying. The Dell has 2 COM ports,
    > the
    > old (Systemax) has 3. I've tried all combinations. I've spent some time
    > googling COM ports & null modem serial cables, but without luck. Alas,
    > those
    > star-crossed machines are still trying to connect.

    Andrew:
    I've kept all of the data I need in a trimmed down version of "My
    Documents". Do I need to use a new name? I'll change just the same. The old
    pc cannot burn cds (thats why the cable.)
    Steve:
    I dont know about the cables - I looked at the back of old & new pcs, saw 2
    empty 9 pin slots went to Radio Shack & got a" RS-232c Cable - DB9 female to
    DB9 female" cable & attached to the two machines.
    (I've worked around computers a long time, but have rarely ventured inside
    one. COM1, Serial ports , and null modem serial cables are new (obviously) to
    me. I'm getting an education a term at a time. )

    Andrew/Steve
    A more basic question may be: How can I tell if the the ports/cables are
    working or even attached correctly?

    "John Tipton" wrote:

    > I have a new Dell with XP & am trying to transfer files from a 5 yr old
    > machine (windows 98). I follow the xp file transfer wizard, create a
    > floppy and execute on the old machine, & connect the two with a cable to
    > serial ports. Both machines have the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
    > running with the "Please Wait" box displaying. The Dell has 2 COM ports, the
    > old (Systemax) has 3. I've tried all combinations. I've spent some time
    > googling COM ports & null modem serial cables, but without luck. Alas, those
    > star-crossed machines are still trying to connect.

File Transfer Windows XP