adsl wireless router

using a billion adsl wireless router for internet connection for one
notebook

how to get another notebook to use the same wireless connection?

tia

You can have more than one laptop use the same wireless internet connection.
If you are talking about ad-hoc that is a different setup from the
"infrastructure".

"John Doe" <Teranews@Teranews.com> wrote in message
> using a billion adsl wireless router for internet connection for one
> notebook
>
> how to get another notebook to use the same wireless connection?
>
> tia

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

you can connect 256 laptops/PCs to the same wireless router

"Dennis" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> some one said:
> you can connect 256 laptops/PCs to the same wireless router
>
> "John Doe" <Teranews@Teranews.com> wrote in message
>> using a billion adsl wireless router for internet connection for one
>> notebook
>>
>> how to get another notebook to use the same wireless connection?
>>
>> tia

Most residential wireless routers use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, which
leaves 8 bits for host numbers. One of the host numbers (0) is for the
subnet address, one (255) is for the subnet (directed) broadcast address,
and one is for the router. That leaves 253 IP addresses for other hosts
(laptops/PCs).

However, the number of IP addresses is only one limitation imposed by the
router. Another is the router's and AP's memory for tables. The AP (in the
wireless router) needs a station table, and the router needs an ARP table.
It's unlikely that a residential (as opposed to enterprise-class, like
Cisco) wireless router supports 253 hosts.

Another limitation is imposed by the bandwidth and the fact that wireless
uses shared bandwidth, not switched. Also, some bandwidth is wasted by the
Collision Avoidance scheme compared to a wired network's Collision Detection
scheme. And when a wireless network does fall back on Collision Detection,
it's not as clean as in a wired network. This all results in a practical
limit well below 253 hosts. I've seen a rule of thumb to install an AP for
every 20 users using 802.11b; I would expect that number to be increased for
802.11g.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

exelent info,
thanks.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "Dennis" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> some one said:
>> you can connect 256 laptops/PCs to the same wireless router
>>
>> "John Doe" <Teranews@Teranews.com> wrote in message
>>> using a billion adsl wireless router for internet connection for one
>>> notebook
>>>
>>> how to get another notebook to use the same wireless connection?
>>>
>>> tia
>
> Most residential wireless routers use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0,
> which leaves 8 bits for host numbers. One of the host numbers (0) is for
> the subnet address, one (255) is for the subnet (directed) broadcast
> address, and one is for the router. That leaves 253 IP addresses for
> other hosts (laptops/PCs).
>
> However, the number of IP addresses is only one limitation imposed by the
> router. Another is the router's and AP's memory for tables. The AP (in
> the wireless router) needs a station table, and the router needs an ARP
> table. It's unlikely that a residential (as opposed to enterprise-class,
> like Cisco) wireless router supports 253 hosts.
>
> Another limitation is imposed by the bandwidth and the fact that wireless
> uses shared bandwidth, not switched. Also, some bandwidth is wasted by
> the Collision Avoidance scheme compared to a wired network's Collision
> Detection scheme. And when a wireless network does fall back on Collision
> Detection, it's not as clean as in a wired network. This all results in a
> practical limit well below 253 hosts. I've seen a rule of thumb to
> install an AP for every 20 users using 802.11b; I would expect that number
> to be increased for 802.11g.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:31:44 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "Ron Bandes"
<RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:

>It's unlikely that a residential (as opposed to enterprise-class, like
>Cisco) wireless router supports 253 hosts.

You need to read the documentation on a few of them....

>Another limitation is imposed by the bandwidth and the fact that wireless
>uses shared bandwidth, not switched.

This is definitely a much more problematic limitation. Not likely to be
much of an issue for domestic installs tho.

--
Mark McIntyre