Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows won't boot after installing display driver!

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 2, 2010 3:15:02 PM

I've searched everywhere for an answer or some sort of suggestions, but this problem seems to be too specific to this configuration.

It's my parents computer out in the living room, a Compaq Presario SR1135CL.

I installed an EVGA GeForce FX5600 Ultra to enable Aero and so that the computer will run at the monitors native resolution of 1366x768.

The generics work fine, but then it only supports up to 1024x768 and no Aero.

Once I install the drivers and reboot the computer it goes to a blank screen after running through the boot screen.

I ran updates and then tried it again with the same problem.

After a reboot it recommends startup repair, and startup repair reports that the problem cannot be repaired automatically.

I've installed in safe mode and in compatibility mode, almost any possible form of installing the drivers. I've tried doing it via Device Manager and pointing it to the directory that the installer package is extracted to, all with the same result.

It is important that I get this resolved because the computer is used mainly for work purposes and the low resolution of 1024x768 doesn't meet the requirements of the desktop real estate needed.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2010 3:41:32 PM

Just as a matter of interest, where are you getting the drivers from? On both the EVGA and NVidia sites I can't find any Windows 7 drivers for a FX5600, only for 6 series and higher.
Score
0
September 2, 2010 3:49:41 PM

I'm using Vista 32-bit drivers for the card.

I've had it working flawlessly before in another computer with the same OS.

Could it possibly be the generic chipset drivers?
Score
0
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2010 4:04:44 PM

I don't think the rest of the chipset has any influence on graphics drivers. I wonder if anyone else has experience of Windows 7 on a 5 series NVidia card? In your position I'd be inclined to get a newer card (they are really cheap now) and try it with the proper drivers. You might even be able to pursuade a shop to let you try one on the understanding that you can return it if it doesn't work.

In the UK (where such a card will cost you about £30) distance selling regulations mean that if you buy from an Internet supplier you can return the item within (I think it's) 10 days and get your money back without having to give a reason.
Score
0
September 2, 2010 4:26:05 PM

That's what I was aiming to avoid.

The simple fact that I've had this card working flawlessly in a Windows 7 Machine before is keeping me going.

I'm certain it's something small that I'm still overlooking.

Your input is appreciated.
Score
0
September 2, 2010 5:13:44 PM

This is still in the air if anyone else has any input or ideas.

Thanks!
Score
0
July 1, 2011 7:49:29 AM

GarrettBar said:
This is still in the air if anyone else has any input or ideas.

Thanks!


Hey Garrett,
I have been having a very similar issue with my desktop HP Pavilion every since I had to run a full reset of it using the PC Recovery tool which set all of my drivers back to the default Windows settings. I need to reinstall the proper driver for my video card (NVIDIA Geforce 7300 gs) to get my programs to run correctly but every time I download and install the driver it prompts me to restart the computer which leads to Windows getting about two thirds of the way back to the desktop and then just shutting down. I have not a solution to this yet but I am disgusted by this because all of this was not a problem before the Recovery and now I have the drivers I need and can even install them but I cannot restart the computer for the updates to take effect!! I AM SICK TO DEATH OF MICROSOFT AND THEIR TRASH OPERATING SYSTEMS!!!! I even downloaded and paid for DriverFInder to try to get the driver issue fixed but that was FAIL :p  and it did not work out. Well that's my two cents, I know that didn't help but I saw your thread and realized that was what was going on with me too. On that note I wish you all the luck and hope you can work this issue out before having to go pay to have the computer serviced. I know that is what I will eventually have to do because I NEED my computer for work and school so I can't play around forever before I have to have it running again!!
P.S. When I get the money I'm gonna buy a Mac and get away from Windows forever!!!!
zlloyd1 :( 
Score
0
July 5, 2011 11:00:48 PM

Ijack said:
I don't think the rest of the chipset has any influence on graphics drivers. I wonder if anyone else has experience of Windows 7 on a 5 series NVidia card? In your position I'd be inclined to get a newer card (they are really cheap now) and try it with the proper drivers. You might even be able to pursuade a shop to let you try one on the understanding that you can return it if it doesn't work.

In the UK (where such a card will cost you about £30) distance selling regulations mean that if you buy from an Internet supplier you can return the item within (I think it's) 10 days and get your money back without having to give a reason.


i have. i was on windows xp my monitor was great put windows 7 on and my monitor just turned blue can not even get into my pc with out pluging my old monitor in and set hertz. but soon as i turn pc on next time settings have changed.
i have a nvidia ge force 6150 le. all drivers upto date.
Score
0
July 5, 2011 11:06:55 PM

zlloyd1 said:
Hey Garrett,
I have been having a very similar issue with my desktop HP Pavilion every since I had to run a full reset of it using the PC Recovery tool which set all of my drivers back to the default Windows settings. I need to reinstall the proper driver for my video card (NVIDIA Geforce 7300 gs) to get my programs to run correctly but every time I download and install the driver it prompts me to restart the computer which leads to Windows getting about two thirds of the way back to the desktop and then just shutting down. I have not a solution to this yet but I am disgusted by this because all of this was not a problem before the Recovery and now I have the drivers I need and can even install them but I cannot restart the computer for the updates to take effect!! I AM SICK TO DEATH OF MICROSOFT AND THEIR TRASH OPERATING SYSTEMS!!!! I even downloaded and paid for DriverFInder to try to get the driver issue fixed but that was FAIL :p  and it did not work out. Well that's my two cents, I know that didn't help but I saw your thread and realized that was what was going on with me too. On that note I wish you all the luck and hope you can work this issue out before having to go pay to have the computer serviced. I know that is what I will eventually have to do because I NEED my computer for work and school so I can't play around forever before I have to have it running again!!
P.S. When I get the money I'm gonna buy a Mac and get away from Windows forever!!!!
zlloyd1 :( 



i no the answer to this its nvidia graphics drivers. i have searched high and low to solutions. and everyone suffering from this problem have a nvidia graphics card. there no good. new graphics card is needed for us all.
Score
0
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 30, 2011 1:02:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!