Restore User account profile/copy user profile

My machine has name JS.
I had a user account, say, John Smith.
However, for some reason, I have done something wrong and reboot the
machine, that user account had gone, only Administrator is left. Then I
created an account with the same name: John Smith.

I noted under the Documents and Settings, there are 2 John Smith, they are:
1)John Smith and
2)John Smith.JS

I think the first one is the original one because the date modified was a
couple of months ago.
The second one is the one that I just created.
Can I recover my original one ?
1 answer Last reply
More about restore user account profile copy user profile

    In news:%23W67VsMvFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Man Utd <alanpltseNOSPAM@sometrix.com.au> had this to say:

    > My machine has name JS.
    > I had a user account, say, John Smith.
    > However, for some reason, I have done something wrong and reboot the
    > machine, that user account had gone, only Administrator is left. Then
    > I created an account with the same name: John Smith.
    >
    > I noted under the Documents and Settings, there are 2 John Smith,
    > they are: 1)John Smith and
    > 2)John Smith.JS
    >
    > I think the first one is the original one because the date modified
    > was a couple of months ago.
    > The second one is the one that I just created.
    > Can I recover my original one ?

    Yup... In fact you're most of the way there. All it is from here on out is
    copy/paste (or cut/paste) and maybe taking ownership. Beyond that you should
    be okay. One more thing, I'd recommend copy/paste and then let it sit for a
    few days before deleting the old data.

    Corrupted Profile: Windows XP :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/corruptprofile.html

    Galen