Gigabyte GA-8KNXP 875P
Kingston DDR400 2x256
Ati Radeon 9500 Pro
Maxtor Diamond plus 120 GB ATA 133
Asus CD rom
Liteon CD-RW DVD combo
Creative Audigy 2 sound blaster
Creative 6.1 speakers

And my problem is i don't have AGP ACCELERATION from my ATI 9500 PRO.

How did I know this?? from the diagnostic tool of direct X 9.0 ... D3D and Direct draw are Ok..but AGP Texture Acceleration is GREYED out!!!!!

And so i can't play any game.

Suggestions please??

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ihab on 11/10/03 08:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

carlbeck

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also purchased a Giga-Byte GA-8KNXP (Mine is Version 2) and My problem is it wont work with DDR 400 Memory Chips. I tried 3 different stcks of MICRON which is one recomended on Giga-Byte's web site.

I also cannot use the on-board sound. It Breaks up in the worst way and Games won't give any sound at all

Carl

search4stability

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
Here's my system (for background reference):

- GA-8KNXP (Rev 2.0) motherboard
- Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz CPU with 800MHz FSB
- Kingston KHX3200K2/1G HyperX DDR 400MHz 2-2-2-6-1 Dual Channel memory pair (1GB total)
- Antec 1080AMG case with 430W TruePower supply
- Two Maxtor 6Y120M0 120GB 8MB buffer SATA hard drives (in a RAID 1 set)
- ATI Radeon 9600 128MB AGP 8x video board
- Memorex 52MAXX CD-RW
- Memorex 16x DVD
- Diamond PCI 56K Modem

My ATI Radeon 9600 came up no problem. I ran all the Direct X tests and everything passed. (One interesting thing is that even though I bought a straight "9600" board, all of the system device information displays it as a "9600 Pro" board. I don't know why this is. The box clearly says "9600" without the "Pro" indication. But I'm not complaining! :)

Is everything else within your system working properly? If so, then it's either a BIOS setting or driver issue. Go into the BIOS after booting up and check all the settings for the AGP. (I think it's under one of the advanced menus, but I don't think you have to hit <CTRL><F1> to get to it.) It should show you if the 8x AGP is recognized. Other menus will also show the AGP bus settings. If the settings all look okay, go to ATI and get the latest Catalyst drivers and re-install them to make sure you are up to date.

You might also want to download the latest version of Direct X. I think it's up to 9.0b.

If none of that works, then there is always removing and re-installing the ATI board to make sure that pins didn't get mis-aligned or crunched (in the socket) during the initial installation.

Regarding the on-board sound issue, first, make sure that you loaded the sound driver from the Gigabyte IUCD utility CD-ROM. Then follow the direction within the installation guide (I know, it's a novel idea that I neglected to do as well) and click on the "sound effects" icon on the taskbar. Go through each menu and make sure that everything is set up properly for the configuration of sound system that you are using. In my case the auto-port-detect mechanism was turned ON by default and incorrectly set my speaker output to be a line input. Needless to say my sound didn't work. I just got popping or snapping sounds everytime Windows started up or generated any sound. Once I disabled the auto-detect and set the ports to my configuration my sound worked fine.

Hope this helps. My system's now been stable for a couple weeks without any crashes. My only current problems are finding that Microsh$t has rendered many of my old software utilities useless under XP. I'm currently considering creating a FAT32 partition and "upgrading" to Windows98 so that I can run some of them again...

Ihab

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
Well i purchased Kingston Value RAM KVR400X64C3AK2/512 and they are working fine. I installed the drivers for the onboard sound, i haven't tried it yet as i bought a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 which is working fine. Anyway i solved the AGP problem after a thourough search before checking the forum again. I installed Catalyst 3.9 and my card is working fine. I have been trying Hitman 2 for like 5 hours and it seems everything is ok, except for one crash. Anyway we will see.
Check out the message posted by search4stability in this thread. It seems he got a clue for the on-board sound.

Here are my specs,
- GA-8KNXP motherboard 875P
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8C GHz with 800MHz FSB supporting HT
- Kingston Value RAM KVR400X64C3AK2/512 Dual Channel Memory
- Aopen case H500A with Q-TEC PSU 550WP
- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120 GB 7200 RPM ATA/133 2MB buffer
- Seagate U series ST340810A 40GB 5400 RPM Ultra ATA/100 2MB Buffer (my old hard drive)
- ATI Radeon 9500 PRO 128 MB AGP 8X/4X BUS
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
- Liteon 48x24x48x CD-RW & 16X DVD-ROM Combo
- Asus 52x CD-ROM (my old CD-ROM)
- D-Link PCI 56k Modem
- Creative Inspire 6.1 6600 Speakers
- Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop (Keyboard & Mouse)
- LG Flatron ez T710BH Monitor (my old monitor)

Ihab

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
Thanks amigo, i did what you said but before reading your reply and it worked fine so far. I installed the latest version of Catalyst 3.9. The problem is gone and now i can play my games smoothly.
Your help is much appreciated.

search4stability

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
My pleasure. Glad to hear that your system is up and running. I just found that the various hardware forums were the best source of information when I was struggling to get my system up and running, so I've been trying to help others by posting the bit of information that I have learned.