Sign in with
Your question

a64 boards support?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 11, 2003 8:19:00 AM

I think i'm set on the giga-byte board. My big question is though does this board support the sata running at 150mb? I know my old mobo supported sata but it was limited to the 133mb. And the nf2 were limited to that to werent they? I know canterwood does burst to the full 150mb.

As of right now i have no computer. I sold it and have been without one for 2 months now(withdrawls starting to kick in).

Just for kicks. Wondering if anyone could price up a comp for $1500 or lower. I would like atleast latest (c class) pentium or a64.

I like the ease of intel systems.
I like the fun of overclocking amd systems.
That must make me mulatto or something.

More about : a64 boards support

November 11, 2003 10:28:54 AM

If you are talking about one of the Gigabyte nforce 3 150 based boards (K8NNXP, K8N Pro, K8N) then the SATA is indeed limited to 133mb/s by the pci bus.If you are talking about the VIA based boards then they do support 150mb/s (in theory) because the SATA is native on the southbridge.This is all moot though because at the moment SATA drives aren't nearly fast enough to need the theoretical 150mb/s so it doesn't really make any difference.
At the moment, the VIA K8T800 based boards are really a better option than the nforce 3 150 boards because of the extra features and the full speed HT bus.Looking at your sig, it seems you are an overclocker, so the main issue is a PCI/AGP lock, which the VIA boards don't have but the nforce boards do.If i were you, i would wait for the nforce 3 250 chipset to come out before you build a pc(if you really want an A64).It will have native SATA and Gblan etc and a full speed HT link like VIA K8T800 BUT will have the advantage of the PCI/AGP lock for overclocking.At the moment the A64 3200s don't oc very far anyway, even with a PCI/AGP lock, so the extra benefit of waiting for a bit should mean that AMD might produce some newer A64s which overclock better.

If you don't want to wait, you can build yourself an amazing p4c based pc for your budget.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 11/11/03 07:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 11, 2003 4:18:31 PM

Thx man. Do you or anyone else around here know when the new NF3 boards are coming around?

I like the ease of intel systems.
I like the fun of overclocking amd systems.
That must make me mulatto or something.
November 11, 2003 5:15:22 PM

I think they will officially announce them within the next month or so but they will probably be physically available in january.Like i said, if you don't want to wait that long and aren't set on A64, now is a great time to build a P4C system.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
!