Dragon Age: Origins problen

Note_JJ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Hi all!

I got DA: Origins recently and was wondering if anyone has the problem that I do.
I looked up various forums and nobody has answered yet... Hopefully somebody here could help me.

The thing is, I double-triple checked the minimum system requirements and according to that the game should be able to run on my laptop, but I installed it and was about to play when it popped up an error message that says that the program can't find a supported video card.

Here is my card:

videocard.JPG

According to (~~LINK~~) it should be able to work. I have absolutely no idea what I should do abot this, or what I could tweak to make the game run. I really hope someone could help, because I'd realy like to play with this.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Your card is way below the minimum specs. I'm not sure where in the forum thread you gave where it states this GPU is supported. I didn't see that anywhere. Where are you getting the information that it is? If you're going by the minimum card specified, then your card is below that, even though you have 256 MB of memory.

Memory isn't the only thing. The actual GPU makes a difference as well. The card you have is a derivative of the ATI Xpress 300 card which is still below the minimum card required. This chipset came out around 2005, so you're talking about 4 years now.

You can go to http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/ and see what this site says. Just choose Dragon Age: Origin and then it will perform a test on your machine to see if it's capable of running it.

BTW, here's a list of video cards from low end to high end. Now, this is from 2006, but it shows where the 200M falls which puts it at the low end below the minimum specs recommend card. In fact, it can barely play Doom 3.

In order of performance:

(The further DOWN The list the BETTER the card)...

Intel Extreme Graphics -el-crap-ola
SiS Integrated

Intel Extreme Graphics 2

Intel GMA900

Intel GMA950

Nvidia GeForce 4 440 Go

ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

Nvidia FX Go5200

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

Nvidia FX Go5600/5650

ATI Radeon 9600

ATI Radeon X300

Nvidia GeForce Go7300

ATI Radeon X1300

ATI Radeon 9700

ATI Radeon X600

Nvidia GeForce Go7400

ATI Radeon X1400

Nvidia Go6600

ATI Radeon 9800

ATI Radeon X700

Nvidia Go6800

ATI Radeon X800

Nvidia Go7600

ATI Radeon X1600

Nvidia Go6800 Ultra

ATI Radeon X800XT

Nvidia Go7800

ATI Radeon X1800

Nvidia Go7900GS

Nvidia Go7800GTX

ATI Radeon X1800XT

Nvidia Go7900GTX - High end card

Note_JJ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Ouch.

All....right then. Thank you for the info I guess. :heink:
I'm really not that big of a gamer...on a pc anyways.
The last thing I attemted was Myst III: Exile, and that was waaay back. Plus video cards all hate me, they seriously do...no matter how many times I change to newer ones, when I actually need them they are always outdated. (..aaand I don't know [strike]s***[/strike] about them.)

...So I guess I'll just stick with my DS.

Thanks again for your time? :sweat:

[strike](...please don't eat me? )[/strike] :ange:

daffas

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

I was able to get a Radeon HD 4830 512 mb for about 80-90 bucks. Saw a HD 4850 on new egg for 100 bucks, but they sold out of what they had.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Those are pretty good deals. So far, my 3870 512 mb has held up for about two years. The only game that gives me some fits (but is still playable) is GTA IV, but I believe that's a CPU bottle-neck (AMD64 X2 4200+) and I doubt upgrading to a better GPU will do much for me. I really wish they would have optimized it better. I mean, I see games such as RE5 that look better than GTA IV yet run SO much better (no lag in the frame rate or gameplay).

StatiicGrazer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I'm having CPU problems myself, and I'm having a heck of a time telling if the cpu is the real problem, or if getting a newer one is the best route. Meh