3dMark score question

Dodgy_Bob

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi,

Just recently bought a new system but decided to keep my old graphics card (spec below). I decided to run 3DMark03 out of interest and the system scored 916, 914, 914. I've seen other people post on here with system specs similar to mine (apart from the graphics) scoring 5000+.

Simple question, is it my graphics card dragging me down? Would just that one component make such a huge difference in the 3dMark03 score?

BTW, I ran it on default settings at 1024x768.

Intel P4 3.0c
MSI NEO-2 LS MB (auto OC turned off, set to slow speed, won't boot if I set it to anything else :( )
2 x 256MB Corsair XMS Platinum PC3700
Creative GeForce3 Ti200
Hitachi Deskstar 180GB
Using onboard sound and LAN

Cheers.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
3d Mark is basically a graphics card test. It depends comparatively little on the CPU. So yes, it's your graphics card's fault.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If you like, you could run 3dMark 2001 instead. That'll give you a much better all-round idea of your card's performance.

The problem with 3dMark03 is your card will skip most of the tests, as it can't do the DX9 stuff.

Besides, you'll get much higher scores with 2001! :lol:

Don't worry too much about benchies. Actual gameplay is what's important at the end of the day. Just remember they're simply a <i>tool</i>, not a <i>reason</i> to build a pc.

You could buy a Radeon 9600Pro if you've got the cash - it's a pretty good card for the money.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: