cpu compatibility

sem

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
I am currently running a dell mobo optiplexgx420. The board came with a 1.5ghz 478pin P4, SDRAM, Intel845 chipset. Anyone know where i can get some info on what p4s' this board will accept?

sem

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
yeah there are no specs i could find. It looks like they are only interested in selling stuff. They do list "upgrades" but its all stupid crap like digital cameras, no metion of processors.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IF you're CERTAIN it's a Socket 478 board, you can use any 400MHz bus P4 you like. The common speeds for the Northwood "A" (A means 400 bus) processors go up to 2.4A.

There were some less common 2.5A and 2.6A processors as well.

Whatever you get, just make sure it's 400 bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sem

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
thanks crash, I am not completely certain. I will have to look into it more. For some reason I thought the majority of the 423 socket cpus' were running on rambus mobos, and mine is of the sdram variety. This is not a mobo that i purchased I salvaged it from a friend of mine and threw my components inside so I dont know enough about it yet.