Sign in with
Your question

Boot Up Failure

Last response: in Windows XP
September 25, 2004 5:55:23 AM

Hi, I have a big problem here, and I'm not sure which category it goes into, so I'll put it here cos I'm running Win XP Pro SP2.

HW:
Gigabyte 8PE800 Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 2.6GhZ processor
512MB DDR PC2700 RAM
Albatron Geforce4 Ti-4280 Graphics card

Sometimes when I switch on my computer, instead of the normal 'beep' sound heard when bootin up, all I hear is 1 long beep, followed by short ones. The CPU then jus stops booting and freezes, and my monitor goes into standby. I usually have to switch it off and wait for a period of time b4 I can try again. It may work normally or it may jus do it all over again.

This problem pops up only intermittently, I cannot even guess when i turn on my PC, whether it will start normally or not.

Would love any sort of help. Thanks in advance!

More about : boot failure

September 25, 2004 6:48:43 AM

From the motherboards guide:

"Q. Upon starting system, I get a long beep, followed by several short beeps?

A. Probably a video card problem, try reseating the card or making sure it's seated all the way into the slot."
September 25, 2004 3:21:09 PM

There is also some additional problems that also occurs internittently. When I go into standby mode, the PC will sometimes not be able to recover safely. It jus freezes up. Also, the monitor sometimes flashes, and then goes into standby then the cpu freezes when i am using it.
Related resources
September 26, 2004 5:07:32 AM

Have you tried hibernating instead of going into standby?
September 26, 2004 3:26:31 PM

Quote:
When I go into standby mode, the PC will sometimes not be able to recover safely. It jus freezes up

That problem might be video card related. Try to fix the first problem and it could also fix this.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
!