new pc not performing as expected

eugenlebt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
Hi!
I just got myself a new motherboard, RAM etc as follows: GA 7N400-L, amd 2600+ athlon (333mhz fsb), 2 x dc256 pc3200DDR RAM, 9700pro vc, 300W power supply, (still had all the paraphernalia from my old dell) and spent about 450 for all.
I got the latest BIOS and newest nvidia drivers for the board, the latest ati drivers for the vidcard and directx9 installed.
Sounds good? HA!
My problem is, that whenever running aquamark, I get less points than with my 3 yr old dell 8100! I get somewhat over 18.000, whereas with the dell I had close to 23.000.
I did all the BIOS settings to the best of my knowledge, (ie multiplikator 12.5, FSB 166, agp frequency 66mhz)

What is going on here? Any advice anyone???

endyen

Splendid
First off, your psu is too small, though that is not why you are scoring so low. Did you do a clean install? Old drivers especially nvidia detonators can really play havoc with performance. Try Sisoft Sandra to see how well the cpu, mobo, ram, and hdd are working. Do a clean install if you went from an nvidia video card to your radeon.(and haven't done so already) I suggest you get a new psu before the old one fails.

eugenlebt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
yeah, I figured the psu might be a little small. the dirvers, yeah clean install on everything. downloaded the latest drivers, then installed. except the chipset drivers! I installed the ones that came on the cd with the board and after that i downloaded the latest drivers from the nvidia site. but even so, the performance should still be better than that, shouldnt it?

eugenlebt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
well, I guess it should... just un- and reinstalled the chipset drivers... 28.000 points now with aquamark. (still, I should get a litlle more if i do some more tuning)
Recommendations and hints are welcome!

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<First off, your psu is too small>

wara you talking ebout? I am running 8RDA with 1700+, 2HDs, 2 CDs, GF vid, 5 (five) PCI slots (SCSI card included) on 250 Watt PSU without any performance "issuez". Get real pplz.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hah! If that was the problem, the system wouldn't work at all! It wouldn't be performing poorly, it would be not running!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, pplz=people(s), hehehe, just in case you have no brain power to cope with the "virtual" chat room (TH Forum) abbreviation(z) :wink: .

<post some proper posts>

wat daz that mean?

<this isn't a chat room you know!>

What is it then?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

eugenlebt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
awright. now that everything is working the way it should (btw aquamark pts 35.459!) WHY isnt 400 mhz RAM supported as it says on the package?!?