IPX protocol

Tags:
  • File Sharing
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 25, 2004 6:02:42 PM

I need XP to talk to two win98 machines using IPX:
How do I setup the IPX protocol in XP?
Since the physically embedded address has more characters than the new ["internal network number"] will allow, what must I type there to establish the IPX protocols file sharing ability with the 98 machines?

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain

More about : ipx protocol

September 27, 2004 4:44:00 PM

It would seem my question was either so simple that no one cared to answer, or ...no one actually knows the answer.
So no one else has apps that require IPX/SPX protocol over LAN??

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." - Mark Twain
September 27, 2004 4:51:53 PM

Haven't come across one yet... all my apps work fine using TCP/IP.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
September 27, 2004 6:21:48 PM

Found this article @ MS Resources Documents web page, hope it helps....

To enable file and print sharing on the IPX/SPX protocol

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Only perform this procedure if your home or small office computers are connected directly to the Internet through individual connections or using a DSL or cable modem connected to an Ethernet network hub.

Open Network Connections

Under LAN or High-Speed Internet, click the local area connection for the home or small office network.

Under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

In Local Area Network Properties, click Install.

In Select Network Component Type, click Protocol, and then click Add.

Click NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol, click OK, and then click Close.

In Network Connections, on the Advanced menu, click Advanced Settings.

On the Adapters and Bindings tab, under Connections, click the local area connection on which you are enabling IPX/SPX file and print sharing.

Under Bindings for Local Area Connection, under File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, clear the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box, and then click OK.
!