Sign in with
Your question

Getting rid of Windows XP login screen

Last response: in Windows XP
September 26, 2004 3:20:41 AM

Is there anyway to get rid of the login screen when you turn on the computer? Im the only user

My main machine does'nt have the login screen but my secondary rig does and since im the only one that uses them, i have no need to click on the little annoying icon.

Please help!!

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger
September 26, 2004 5:09:08 AM

i had the same problem with an different system. i used to run 2 users, and then i deleted 1 and it made me click the icon to get in. did u ever have 2 users on that comp?
Related resources
September 26, 2004 2:21:14 PM

Well, i'm screwed

login screen open but now my icon and name are missing and nothing to click on now and cant get get to desktop.
I clicked the option to not show my name on the login screen and well.... its not. Guess i should watch what i wish for huh? LOL

I cant even get into bios. Thank god its my second computer and i dont have valuable data on it. reformat AGAIN i guess

For anyone who reads this, for future reference, dont just start clicking stuff without knowing what its going to do.

Thanks for your help guys, im just a freekin computer tard

September 26, 2004 3:22:59 PM

If you click Alt+Ctrl+Del <b>twice</b>, it should open <b>Win2k-style</b> Log-In screen. Type your user name that has administrative right to login and fix the problem.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
September 26, 2004 4:06:54 PM

wOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOt!! It worked. Happy camper once again

Oh, and this time i stopped to read what each option did in tweakui instead of just blindly clicking. Sure does make a difference

But i always thought there was an opiton in windows to auto logon, but cant remember for the life of me.

You guys here at THG RAWK!!!

THANK YOU!

September 27, 2004 1:38:56 AM

Type <b>control userpasswords2</b> at <b>Run</b> command. It'd open W2k-style User accounts application. On <b>Users</b> tab, clear <b>Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer</b> check box and click OK.
The Automatically Log On dialog box should appear. Type the user name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start computer.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
September 27, 2004 4:19:11 AM

Heres how I do it after installing Windows XP:

Open Regedit, by typing regedit in the run box.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

Go to the folder above.

Then right click and add a string value, that is

AutoAdminLogon

Set it equal to 1. (Double click on it, and make sure you use the capitals)

Next add another string value that is:

DefaultPassword

Double click on it, and type your password, mine is usually blank, as I don't use a password.

Restart, it should be all done.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html&lt;/A>
September 27, 2004 6:45:01 PM

There is a much, MUCH easier alternative. IF you've recently installed Microsoft.NET framework, another account is created automatically on XP. It's called ASP.NET account or something like that. Now, it doesn't show up on the login screen as an icon you can click on as your name does, but it does force you to click on your name to log into Windows.

Simplest way to avoid this is to just delete the account from the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel. Updating the .NET framework may recreate the account, so if you find yourself having to click on your name again, the FIRST thing to do is check to see if that account has been re-created.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
September 27, 2004 11:27:24 PM

Quote:
IF you've recently installed Microsoft.NET framework, another account is created automatically on XP. It's called ASP.NET account or something like that. Now, it doesn't show up on the login screen as an icon you can click on as your name does, but it does force you to click on your name to log into Windows.

Actually, if you install .NET Framework 1.1 with Service Pack 1, although it creates a new account ASP.NET, it won't force you having to click on the account you log in that account is the only one you have.

!