Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003
I'm trying to help a friend upgrade his computer. This weekend, we purchased,
ASUS A7N8X-X mobo
(2) 256MB Kingston RAM
AMD Athlon XP2200+.

We replaced,
Tyan mobo w/ Pentium 666MHz proc.

Boot up seems to go fine, but everytime Windows starts (it never actually gets to the GUI part with the sidescrolling loading display), it gets a STOP error:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF894D640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Looking this stop error up in Microsoft's knowledge base results in information relating to a possible IDE problem. This makes sense as the HDD isn't touched, to my knowledge, during the entire bootup process until Windows tries to load. The knowledge base article says it has something to do with the new IDE controller not seeing the HDD the same way as the IDE controller on the old mobo.

The IDE controller on the old mobo saw the HDD this way:
Size: 80
CYLS: 9729
HEAD: 255
PRECOMP: 0
LANDZ: 38308
SECTOR: 63
MODE: LBA

I turned off the auto-detect on the new mobo and manually set it to the aforementioned settings. No luck.

The knowledge base article recommends using the Repair feature of the WinXP setup CD or completely reinstalling. Both options are feasible but don't work.

The Windows install CD loads up all the drivers and gets a STOP error when it says Starting Windows in the status bar (presumably when it tries to access the HDD). This is right before any option screens to repair or install Windows.

The Setup STOP error is this:
STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

Any ideas here?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I take it you did reinstall windows before putiing in the new components? If you did not this would be your problem. You ALWAYS have to reinstall windows when you do a mobo change.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

dedoleo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003
Oh, I did not know this. I can easily reinstall the old mobo and do this, but I'm not quite clear on how to go about this.

You mentioned reinstalling BEFORE doing the hardware change. Can I just install over the old OS with the old mobo in? Or do I have to format the HDD and then install? What does this accomplish?