Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Modern Warfare 2 game crash causes computer to shut down

Last response: in Video Games
January 12, 2010 7:31:00 PM

My friend has Windows Vista 64bit and has been playing Modern Warfare 2 since it came out. He has no problems with the game until recently it started to crash. The entire computer literally turns off in the middle of a game. He is able to get through some games, but then sometimes it just crashes. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?
January 12, 2010 7:39:58 PM

Maybe something in your tower is starting to over heat, crack your tower open, if it doesn't void your compys warranty, you might have a dust build up. You could also check how well your system is running by using Pc Wizard. http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

I've been using it myself, you might have a piece of hardware going native or something along those lines,
Score
January 12, 2010 7:43:35 PM

Do other games work?
Score
Related resources
January 13, 2010 3:04:20 AM

Weird....mine just did the same thing....twice! About 10 minutes into MW2 and everything just shuts down, then restarts on it's own :fou: 

CPU temps (from CoreTemp) were all around 58-60 and the GPU's were hanging around 80. I've seen higher temps playing Crysis Warhead on max settings.

I have a brand new build....

Case = Cooler Master 690 Nvidia version
Motherboard = EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU = Intel i7 920
CPU Cooler = Intel Stock
RAM = OCZ PC3-12800 Obsidian 6GB Triple Channel Kit
HDD = WD 750GB Caviar Black
DVD drive/burner = 22x Samsung SATA
GPU's = Two EVGA GTX275 w/ 896MB in SLI
PSU = Corsair TX750

Any ideas? I have 4-120mm Coolermaster fans (intake) and one 120mm Coolermaster fan as the exhaust. maybe i am overloading the PSU? Doesn't make any sense since Crysis plays without issue....but.....

thanks
Score
January 13, 2010 3:05:26 AM

oh.. am using Windows 7 64-bit. Would this make a difference?
Score
January 13, 2010 4:13:38 AM

alright...got about 15 minutes into it this time before crash. GPU temps were at 85-87. not sure what could be causing this?
Score
January 13, 2010 6:04:57 PM

it ended up being his cpu temperature. it was way too hot. a few days ago he was working with his computer and took the cpu fan off. he started having problems after that. he fixed it by taking the fan off again and reapplying the thermal paste. now his cpu is running cooler.
Score
January 13, 2010 6:15:00 PM

Yes, cpu temps should never get near 60 or 70. although gpus get incredibly hot so thats normal.
Score
January 13, 2010 6:55:15 PM

That said, JDV28, if the GPU is chucking out between 80 and 90degrees, even if it is fine running at such heat, that heat is going to have quite an impact on the temperatures of the case and other internal components. Anyway to get that temperature down, aftermarket GPU cooling, maybe, would be beneficial for the whole system.
Score
January 13, 2010 9:32:10 PM

eagle92 said:
alright...got about 15 minutes into it this time before crash. GPU temps were at 85-87. not sure what could be causing this?

What exactly is happening when the game crashes? Is it crashing to desktop, or is the PC becoming unresponsive and you have to reset? Do any messages come up during the crash?

If it's freezing and requiring a reboot, you might need to look at your PSU cabling - that was the problem I had a few months back with my Crossfire setup:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267599-10-experienc...

Just a thought mate.
Score
January 13, 2010 11:30:40 PM

i had this exact issue. PSU failing to supply enough volts to the GPU and causing a power failure to the system.

i had to reaplce my PSU. all my other games worked fine, only MW2 was causing the issue. so if your PSU is a low quality one, it seems MW2 will have issues with it.

EDIT: i see you have a corsair, which is good quality. but its also on the limit of what your system will require. so it seems your GPUs are calling for too much power during gaming and causing a failure. you may need to upgrade to an 850w or higher.
Score
January 13, 2010 11:36:29 PM

ukcal said:
That said, JDV28, if the GPU is chucking out between 80 and 90degrees, even if it is fine running at such heat, that heat is going to have quite an impact on the temperatures of the case and other internal components. Anyway to get that temperature down, aftermarket GPU cooling, maybe, would be beneficial for the whole system.

Heh, i know what you are saying, and it is true, but GPUs DO get that hot. and its normal. and almost all expensive/modern gfx cards have great built in cooling. as long as you have good airflow, its fine.
Score
January 14, 2010 5:33:13 AM

Confused Stu said:
What exactly is happening when the game crashes? Is it crashing to desktop, or is the PC becoming unresponsive and you have to reset? Do any messages come up during the crash?

If it's freezing and requiring a reboot, you might need to look at your PSU cabling - that was the problem I had a few months back with my Crossfire setup:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267599-10-experienc...

Just a thought mate.

the computer just shuts down...as if someone pulled the plug from the wall. it will restart normally by itself after about 5 seconds. CPU temps are normal as are the GPU temps, and my FPS doesn't drop below 35. Does it everytime with MW2 after about 10-15 minutes into the game.

I'm beginning to think it's just my PSU since all other games run fine. Although it's a good PSU...maybe MW2 is just pulling a bit too much power from it (or causing the GPU's to pull too much from it)? I may try a more powerful PSU tomorrow...just to see.

It's a bit frustrating, but just another excuse to try new gear....''
Score
January 14, 2010 5:37:31 AM

welshmousepk said:
i had this exact issue. PSU failing to supply enough volts to the GPU and causing a power failure to the system.

i had to reaplce my PSU. all my other games worked fine, only MW2 was causing the issue. so if your PSU is a low quality one, it seems MW2 will have issues with it.

EDIT: i see you have a corsair, which is good quality. but its also on the limit of what your system will require. so it seems your GPUs are calling for too much power during gaming and causing a failure. you may need to upgrade to an 850w or higher.

Yes, I think you are on point here with the PSU as the problem. I will try a more powerful PSU tomorrow.

a complete shut down with no BSOD or other issues. I do consider myself lucky as this has been my first issue with my first build...knock on wood....

thanks for the help!
Score
January 14, 2010 6:02:26 AM

no problem, as i said i had the EXACT same issue. and with only that game, so im 99 percent sure you its the PSU in your case too.

hopefully it wont cost too much to fix it. MW2 has already forced me to buy a new PSU and re-install my OS...
Score
Anonymous
January 16, 2010 4:02:30 PM

Same problem,

i have ATI 3850, Q8200 and 350W @ Vista 64.
have stoped OC in Catalyst, will start measurements on powersupply next week.

COD works fine at my i7 and 9800GTX OC at 1000W, but askes only 280W when playing at no SLI... and this PC has to run a lot more fans, HD's, lights and heavy CPU then my other pc.

Anyone has a fix already? maybe lower the settings in game?

Score
January 16, 2010 7:36:43 PM

@triton:

yes i found that lowering in game settings considerably did seem to solve the issue. i guess it takes the strain off the GPU and stops it drawing as much power. but i dont consider that a true fix, more a temporary solution. it may or may not work for you, but its worth a shot.
Score
January 23, 2010 5:27:14 PM

I did some measurements: I found:

for: intel i7 + 9800GTX 4GB-DDR3 CODMW2 @ Max/FullHD/AA=0 Power needed 280W MAX (idle 190W)
for: intel Q8200 + ATI3850 4GB-DDR2 CODMW2 @ Max/1280x1024/AA=0 Power needed 150W MAX (idle 80W)

I run HCI Design MemTest 4.0, run it 4 times at ones on 4 cores devided memory to 1024GB each, after 7.8% 3 error occured (i tought this was normal, a error concerning coping memory from A to B) After 10% computer shut down... like in CODMW2... Time to buy new memory, or maybe memory is getting to hot? dont know jet
Score
January 26, 2010 3:25:42 AM

welshmousepk said:
@triton:

yes i found that lowering in game settings considerably did seem to solve the issue. i guess it takes the strain off the GPU and stops it drawing as much power. but i dont consider that a true fix, more a temporary solution. it may or may not work for you, but its worth a shot.

Well, after a nice vacation up skiing, I picked up a Corsair TX850. Made sure everything was connected correctly...and then it happened again! Now it seems to be happening in Crysis as well.

Do Corsiar PSU's automatically shut down upon reaching the 70A (for the TX850) limit then turn back on? Or will it blow a 'fuse' that needs to be replaced? How can I tell if it's my PSU shutting down? I'm asking, because if it isn't my PSU, then something else is causing my system to shutdown and restart.

I need to get to the bottom of this!! It's really starting to drive me nuts.

thanks,
Score
January 29, 2010 8:17:20 PM

My computer shuts down now even before starting COD. When still in windows it shuts down (or ones even when still in startup). I think my RAM is defect, so i will buy new ones. Can it be that RAM gets to hot? i have PC2-6400 800Mhz at 1.8V, think thats normal
Score
January 29, 2010 10:10:28 PM

Wow....at least I can get about 10 minutes out of it before mine shuts down! Well, to be honest, I'm a bit of a noob to all this...but I'm learning quick and therefore unqualified to comment on your RAM.
I'm sure someone else on this board will chime in and give you a correct answer.

BUT, I found something really weird today...I reinstalled my Nvidia drivers today just to see if that would solve my problem. After uninstalling, rebooting into safe mode and running driver sweeper....I found an 'ATI' display driver on there!! This is a new build, and I don't have any ATI hardware on it, nor have i installed any. I wonder where that came from? I wonder if that was interfereing with my Nvidia drivers?

Well, I'll try MW2 tomorrow again and see if I solved my problem!

Score
January 29, 2010 10:13:32 PM

welshmousepk said:
no problem, as i said i had the EXACT same issue. and with only that game, so im 99 percent sure you its the PSU in your case too.

hopefully it wont cost too much to fix it. MW2 has already forced me to buy a new PSU and re-install my OS...

I tried a Corsair TX850...and same problem. It was a buddies PSU...so at least I wasn't out any $$ :sol: 

I purchased a 780 watt APC UPS and that is showing that during MW2, I am drawing close to 500 watts during the intense scenes with lots of shooting and explosions (which is pretty much the entire game...ha ha).
Score
February 1, 2010 9:34:27 AM

I have bought new ram (2GB PC2-6400) replaced one of two bars bar, still failure, replaced the other: everything works.. played MW2 for 2 hours and no problems, could even switch to windows openup couple of programs and play game. So my problem was broken RAM, only one question remaince.. PC was just 6 months old! so why did the RAM died?
Score
February 1, 2010 4:21:02 PM

Triton1986 said:
I have bought new ram (2GB PC2-6400) replaced one of two bars bar, still failure, replaced the other: everything works.. played MW2 for 2 hours and no problems, could even switch to windows openup couple of programs and play game. So my problem was broken RAM, only one question remaince.. PC was just 6 months old! so why did the RAM died?

OC settings?

Also

same rams seems to need custom ram timing settings, and if you have one of those rams, you may need to set it for it to work perfectly, it can boot and do most things, just not the intense things.
Score
June 16, 2010 2:41:43 PM

Hey Guys, I have been having the same problems, with the PC shutting down only after playing some MW2. It has to be the software, because it happens randomly throughout the playing time. Sometimes it happens after 20 mins, sometimes it happens after a few hours of playing.

And its only been happening the last month or so, I've had MW2 since it first came out and never had these problems. Thats why I'm sure it has to be on the software end.
Score
July 13, 2010 12:39:23 AM

Hey dudes.

A little question for you all.

My mate has been playing mw2 for a couple of months now and has no problems, all of a sudden it has started to freeze when he enters a game. The screen just turns black and locks everything up. The only way of restarting this is to manually turn off the computer by holding down the power button.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?
Score
July 13, 2010 12:13:44 PM

Daftnader said:
Hey dudes.

A little question for you all.

My mate has been playing mw2 for a couple of months now and has no problems, all of a sudden it has started to freeze when he enters a game. The screen just turns black and locks everything up. The only way of restarting this is to manually turn off the computer by holding down the power button.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

I dont know about that issue, but I know that the issue that turns off your pc is GPU related. Sucks but I upgraded my 4800 gpu to a 5700 and I havnt had any problems since.
Score
July 13, 2010 10:54:50 PM

same as above.

upgrading my PSU fixed my shutdowns, but it wasn't 'til i got a 5 series GPU that my crashes stopped.
Score
July 14, 2010 11:36:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!