Need FPS games like Q3 & BF2

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hello ,
Im a Multiplayer Gamer , ye i just hate singleplayer.
I Have a v.good PC ... Which can eat any game....
But i want to try a new game with the same level of Q3 and BF2 ... which Require skills ... a real skill .... also like Counter-strike , RTCW , etc...
With a good community , which able to find FULL servers any time i want to play ...
any thoughts?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
enemy territory quake wars, call of duty 4 or MW2, crysis wars, HL2 deathmatch.

those are my favourites.

AvP is out soon too, i have a feeling that will be an awesome multiplayer game.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
First of all Thanks for ur reply .... but all those i have watched @ youtube .... and i dont like them .... what would u guys say ? watching a youtube multiplayer gameplay doesnt show how fun playing them ?
i just dont know .. confused ... should i really TRY them by myself ?
and about tf2 , i dont like it ... i was a big fan of Team fortress classic and played it for more than 7 years ... and i still play it sometimes .. but dead community ..

OllieUK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Well I play..

BF2142 - good squadplay on the right server. Still a community there but for how long once BC2 is released remains to be seen
L4D2 - requires good communication and teamplay to play well

coming up..

AvP as has been mentioned could be good
BFBC2 looks lovely and if the PC version is done right could give the squadplay elements that 2142 has provided for the last 3 yrs.

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Definitely looking forward to bad company 2. L4D is a very fun, team-oriented game too. If you like teamwork, l4d REQUIRES it or else you're a dead man. Have you tried the project reality mod for bf2? I've been playing that recently and I'm finding it alot of fun. It requires alot of teamwork and it's more realistic. www.realitymod.com

welshmousepk

Distinguished
@OP, yes you need to play a game to decide that. most games have very small quirks, tactics and gameplay elements that just dont get displayed in youtube videos.

if you like BF2, i can't imagine you not liking quake wars, its basically battelfield in the quake universe. call of duty 4 is simply one fo the best multiplayer games of all time, and gameplay wise the sequal MW2 is even better. but it has a unmber of issues that can get very annoying.

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I was going to mention MW2, but this is in the pc games forum and i've heard that not having dedicated servers has severly impacted the pc community. I have the 360 version and love it, so if you have a 360, I would highly recommend it.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

We will see when BadCo2 comes out. It is looking a lot like BF2 with a graphics update so it could be the new and improved BF2.

Hopefully EA/Dice didn't screw it up with all of these different gameplay modes and squad reorganizing mumbojumbo. If they dulled it down to be more COD-like, I am going to throw my feces. [:mousemonkey:2]

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Yes, if they can get the online play right on BC2 it will be a fantastic game because we already see that the gfx and enviroment is very detailed. Also, as some people said above, UT (2004 or III) and BF2 are great games online. just beware that BF2 doesnt like Vista...its hit or miss.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

given thats its a sequel to a consoel exclusive, i dont have alot of faith in it being a very 'deep' shooter. but as long as its as fun as MW2 but with dedicated servers, im happy.

i hate MW2, but its just so awesome that i can't stop playing. it makes me rage.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Well .. as for the suggestions u saied , i Checked MOHAA, QuakeWars,UT2004 at Gametracker.com - Cmon they r Barely people playing this games ...
i have TeamFortress2 , UT3 , BF2142
TF2? sound very cartoonish and not that good , TFC is better but dead community ...
UT3? There is low amount of players ...
BF2142? Not my type , i hate Fantasy games and Machines..
CoD games? i just HATE this games.

Well ... im confused ... and i guess im not gonna havefun trying something new soon , but BadCompany2 ...
its realy Awsome ... i hope they make it the same basics as bf2 , with Helicoopters and Jets...

And im not sure that i will like L4D2 .... is it rly good ? should i give it a shot ? but its 4v4 lol :X am i right ?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

For me the depth of the game comes from the online play. There aren't too many maps to choose from and there is essentially no single player mode but each game is different depending on who is in there playing online. When you find some friends to squad up with it can be a blast.

You could be right though. I hear there is no commander role. Already this sounds like a simplified version of the BF2 game play mechanics. Hopefully this isn't foreshadowing of a crapola squad system where everyone just runs around all for their onsies.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

They are quite a few people that play UT. just because its not 200k people like cod or anything, doesnt mean there isnt alot. UT 2k4 has a decent amount of people online. UT3 has alot more.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
And im not sure that i will like L4D2 .... is it rly good ? should i give it a shot ? but its 4v4 lol :X am i right ?

Actually, it's 4 vs 50+zombies + special infected zombies coming at you at once, then wait 2 minutes and another 50 + another infected.
Oh, and the special infected zombies always come when you least expect it. The entire game is based on team work so a if you're a solo artist this ain't for you.

There is also Battlefield 1943 coming out about the same time as Bad Company 2.

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I've played the trial of BF1943 on xbox live and it's basically just 1942 with sharper graphics and the frostbite engine plus excellent sound engine from BF:BC. That's not a bad thing, but there's only about 3-4 maps and no additional enhancements from what I saw besides those I listed above.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Well ye .. i played it on my PS3 ... but im not that big fan of PS3 or xBox ... FPS game born for pc only ... People told me that i will get used to the controller .. and i did .. but will never ever reach the mouse ...and i tried MW2 on ps3 too ... well
u cant stand with people playing with mouse and keyboard .. and to be honest ? i dont want to waste my money on PS3 gear " the mouse for the ps3"
Well .. im gonna wait for BadCompany2 ... and i will think about L4D2 ... mayb that i'll try it

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I'm not sure if it's still available, but there might be a demo for l4d2. I had a demo of it before the full game was released, but I forget if it was taken down after the release.
Regarding tf2; yes the graphics are cel-shaded and cartoony looking, but it has the same frantic, action-packed gameplay as TFC. I wasn't much of a TFC person though; I was more old school QWTF from the original quake days. TF2 is addicting though because there are achievements and weapon unlocks for almost every class (as of this post, the engineer is the only class without achievements or unlocks yet). It's alot of fun and there are more gameplay modes than just ctf and attack/defend.