Problems with HP PSC 1350 (Printer/Scanner/Copier) and oh ..

Bought a HP PSC 1350 back in June and all was well until after about 3
months it decided it didn't want to power up anymore. I checked all the
connections, tried a different socket, etc. but nothing. Thought perhaps the
fuse might have blown so changed that, plugged it back in and the lights on
the printer flashed on for a second and the fuse blew again. Tried one more
fuse just to make sure and did the same again.

I phoned up HP support in the UK who advised that they could send a
replacement printer but that it wouldn't be supplied with a new power
supply. As the problem seemed to be at the power supply/lead/plug end of
things they opted to initially post me a new lead and supply. When it
arrived it of course did exactly the same thing. Called them back and they
sent a new printer.

I've had the new printer for two weeks and was using it quite happily on
Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning - dead! Same problem. Called them again
and they're sending another printer. Was advised that it was all my fault
and that they wouldn't keep sending me printers. Buy a surge protector I was
told. Funny how nothing else in my house has an issue with the electricity
supply - including the HP Deskjet 840C I previously had.

Seems these printers may be a little on the sensitive side. If the next one
does the same thing, even when plugged into a surge protector, it seems I
may have a battle on my hands. I mean I don't think HP are going to give me
back my £125 without a fight.

Anyone else experienced problems like this? I'd be very interested to hear
from you.

Cheers

Rich

(Remove NOSPAM...)

Third printer arrived today. Plugged it into my new Belkin SurgePro and the
paper feed doesn't work properly. Fourth printer on the way. HP won't
consider any type of refund until they have supplied THREE replacements to
the original - manufacturers warranty!

"Richard Hamilton" <rich.hamilton@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Bought a HP PSC 1350 back in June and all was well until after about 3
> months it decided it didn't want to power up anymore. I checked all the
> connections, tried a different socket, etc. but nothing. Thought perhaps
> the fuse might have blown so changed that, plugged it back in and the
> lights on the printer flashed on for a second and the fuse blew again.
> Tried one more fuse just to make sure and did the same again.
>
> I phoned up HP support in the UK who advised that they could send a
> replacement printer but that it wouldn't be supplied with a new power
> supply. As the problem seemed to be at the power supply/lead/plug end of
> things they opted to initially post me a new lead and supply. When it
> arrived it of course did exactly the same thing. Called them back and they
> sent a new printer.
>
> I've had the new printer for two weeks and was using it quite happily on
> Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning - dead! Same problem. Called them again
> and they're sending another printer. Was advised that it was all my fault
> and that they wouldn't keep sending me printers. Buy a surge protector I
> was told. Funny how nothing else in my house has an issue with the
> electricity supply - including the HP Deskjet 840C I previously had.
>
> Seems these printers may be a little on the sensitive side. If the next
> one does the same thing, even when plugged into a surge protector, it
> seems I may have a battle on my hands. I mean I don't think HP are going
> to give me back my £125 without a fight.
>
> Anyone else experienced problems like this? I'd be very interested to hear
> from you.
>
> Cheers
>
> Rich
>
> (Remove NOSPAM...)

"Richard Hamilton" <rich.hamilton@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<xcIfd.613$Ib1.182@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>...
> Bought a HP PSC 1350 back in June and all was well until after about 3
> months it decided it didn't want to power up anymore. I checked all the
> connections, tried a different socket, etc. but nothing. Thought perhaps the
> fuse might have blown so changed that, plugged it back in and the lights on
> the printer flashed on for a second and the fuse blew again. Tried one more
> fuse just to make sure and did the same again.

No power problems yet but the software locked up my computer and
was very difficult to get out. Had to get a registry cleaner to get
rid of all of the entries.

Then I downloaded a 'basic driver set' from HP which is about 50megs
instead of the usual 500meg driver. It says it does basic printing
and scanning but of course the scanner does not work now. The website
says it is for 'printing and scanning'. The phone support says it was
for 'printing and scanning'. The email support said it was only
for 'printing'. Go figure. Sounds like HP is suffering in the help
department by outsourcing too much to a work force that has not been
trained correctly.

Concerning your problem, I would purchase an APC power supply and use that
for all computer devices. Not just a surge protector. Where I work we have
these on all computers and printers as a rule. The APC 650 will run a computer,
printer, monitor and modem fairly easily with some room to spare.