ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Hi all,

I've got a major problem. I've assembeld a computer 1½ month ago, and until now it's been running without errors...but, some days ago I ment to turn it on, but the following problem occured:

When I try to turn it on, the machine starts - all the fans (gfx, cpu, psu & case) are running, the HDD is beginning to spin, but after 1-2 seconds the computer shutsdown.

Erhm.....any brilliant idéas?

Spec:
Assu MB -> http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-d/overview.htm
AMD 2600+
2*256 MB Samsung PC 2700
GeForce TI-4800SE
XP Pro - updatet last time @ 3/11-03

....help :-|

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You haven't moved it or made any modifications lately? It just started doing this suddenly?

You could try resetting the CMOS(BIOS). there's usually a jumper near the battery:
1)Remove Power cord from back of PC
2)move the CLR_CMOS jumper from the 1-2 position to 2-3
3)take out the little CMOS button battery
4)wait a couple of minutes
5)reverse all the steps.

See if that helps.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

svend

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2003
I have you tried removing the hard drive and see if it will boot up so you can get to the Bios. IF that doesn't work try removing everything and see if you hear the single beep of the cmos. then start one at a time putting your cards back in starting with the video, untill the problem reocures. If this doesn't help maybe it's the power supply.

when all is said and done, what you've done for your neighbor is most important

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Thx guys - but neither helped, no beeps from the CMOS - NOTHING!

So it's on it's way to destruc....oh well - workshop ^_^

But - thx again...

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Well, no bios, beeps, nothing doesn't mean the mobo is bad. There's a good chance it is, but that can also be caused by other things such as odd settings in bios, a bad processor, a hsf that isn't connected to the cpu fan connector on the mobo, etc.

Check where you have that fan connected to. Check to see if you have odd settings in bios by first clearing cmos using the jumper (unplug the power supply first). Pull the mobo out and put it on a phone book and test that way. Try swapping out a different processor even if you have to borrow from a friend, etc.

Check to see if it is still undeer warrantly. I believe some manufactures, one of which is ASUS, provides a 3 year warranty.

And don't forget to try a different power supply.

And always only keep a minimum of devices attached to ensure consistent reliable testing.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jimbo99 on 11/25/03 11:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
I had the exact same problem two weeks ago.
In my case i connected my sound card with approval of creative with a fdd power supply cord. When i unplugged this cord and tried my comp he started working again.

It's probably just a wrongfully connected power cord. In my case the power cord gave to much power to the sound card, so as a back up system the comp immediately turned off to save my sound card and maybe much more

BTW Creative offered their excuses to me. A personel victory i say.

Hope to be of any help.

One to rule them all

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a short circuit somewhere is tripping the power supply's overload protection. It could also be a bad line on the power supply with BIOS kicking it off. A number of other things could be wrong as well, these are two of the common ones I haven't seen suggested yet.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>