Status
Not open for further replies.

hormel09

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I was given a Dell Inspirion 530s by a friend. I decided to dump a little money in to it and make in a causal gaming computer. I put an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600, it ran me $120 on ebay. I upgraded the DDR2 ram from 3GB to 4GB. I put in an XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GBRadeon HD 6670 1GB. I also upped the power supply to a 750W Thermalake. It was originally a slim line, so I put everything in a standard width case.

Other than that it is pretty much stock. I have no idea how much it is worth like it is, and was hoping to get some appraisals here. I was also wondering if I'd get more out of it by

A)

Selling the components I put in myself, put in the originals, and selling it how I got in from my friend( save the case and power supply since I sold the originals)

B)

Selling all of it for parts

I would restore the dell to the original case and keep only the video card and power supply for a complete new build. I wouldn't have paid so much for the e8600; it's not worth it in my opinion; I've seen the e8400 as low as $50 on craigslist. Upgrading is rarely a good idea; you won't get your money back when it comes time to sell. You're also dumping money into ddr2 when ddr3 is faster and cheaper. Your original inspiron 530s might bring $125 on craigslist with a keyboard and mouse and windows install. Use the old dell cpu and sell the e8600 for around $80 if you get any offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.